Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duugg

Default How do I change the case from all caps to proper for names I have in columns E, F, G?

I know that a formula would work, but I don't know what it is
and more importantly, where to put it.

In other words, if the "all caps name" is in E3 to E120

and I want to change these cells to "proper case"

Note that I already tried putting this formula in A1
=PROPER(A2)

to change an "all caps" name in A2, but it didn't change it.

What exactly do I do for this?

If you will be providing me with a formula, then please tell me exactly
where to put it and how to put it there.

Thanks so much

--
duugg
duugg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33372

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw

Default How do I change the case from all caps to proper for names I have

You can't change the existing cells, in blank cells, put in =proper(E3) and
the proper name will show up in the cell you put the formula in. Then you
have to do a copy / paste special /values to turn the formula into the
actual names.

"duugg" wrote:

I know that a formula would work, but I don't know what it is
and more importantly, where to put it.

In other words, if the "all caps name" is in E3 to E120

and I want to change these cells to "proper case"

Note that I already tried putting this formula in A1
=PROPER(A2)

to change an "all caps" name in A2, but it didn't change it.

What exactly do I do for this?

If you will be providing me with a formula, then please tell me exactly
where to put it and how to put it there.

Thanks so much

--
duugg
duugg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33372
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zack Barresse

Hi duugg,

What results is the formula returning exactly? That should be the formula
you need...

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

"duugg" wrote in
message ...

I know that a formula would work, but I don't know what it is
and more importantly, where to put it.

In other words, if the "all caps name" is in E3 to E120

and I want to change these cells to "proper case"

Note that I already tried putting this formula in A1
=PROPER(A2)

to change an "all caps" name in A2, but it didn't change it.

What exactly do I do for this?

If you will be providing me with a formula, then please tell me exactly
where to put it and how to put it there.

Thanks so much

--
duugg
duugg's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duugg

dlw

If I put the formula into cell , I get the following error message
=PROPER(#REF!). Then I put the name, let's say, John Smith in the same
cell, but it types over the formula, resulting in erasing it.

I also tried putting "=Proper (A2)" into cell A1 and then typing john
smith (just like that, all lowercase) in cell A2, but it does not
change the case to proper after pressing enter, it just stays like it
was.

--
duugg
duugg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33372
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zack Barresse

The #REF! is generally from deleting or cutting the referenced cell (if
you're seeing it in the formula itself). When you change the #REF! to A2
and change A2 value to "john doe" (w/o quotes), what does the formula read?
If the same, press F9, what does the formula read? If the same, select your
formula, press F2 then Enter, what does it read now?

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

"duugg" wrote in
message ...

dlw

If I put the formula into cell , I get the following error message
=PROPER(#REF!). Then I put the name, let's say, John Smith in the same
cell, but it types over the formula, resulting in erasing it.

I also tried putting "=Proper (A2)" into cell A1 and then typing john
smith (just like that, all lowercase) in cell A2, but it does not
change the case to proper after pressing enter, it just stays like it
was.

--
duugg
duugg's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duugg

Zack,

We'll it works if I type the name, erase it, and then re-type it. I
want to use this formula on 120 pre-existing cells. If I have to erase
it, and then retype it, it will defeat the purpose.

Is there a way to use this on pre-existing data. Obviously, even if I
have to copy and paste a column into a blank worksheet to do this, it
would be okay.

If so, do I insert a row above all others to put the formula in just to
correct the text entries below that I want to change the case on?

--
duugg
duugg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33372
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

duugg

Assume the names are in in cells E1:E120

Also assume your calculation mode is set to automatic under
ToolsOptionsCalculation.

In F1 enter =PROPER(E1)

Hover the mouse pointer over the bottom right corner of F1 untill you see a
black cross. Double-click on that cross to copy the formula down to F120

I believe your mistake is you are trying to enter a formula and the name in the
same cell.

Cannot be done.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:06:03 -0500, duugg
wrote:

Zack,

We'll it works if I type the name, erase it, and then re-type it. I
want to use this formula on 120 pre-existing cells. If I have to erase
it, and then retype it, it will defeat the purpose.

Is there a way to use this on pre-existing data. Obviously, even if I
have to copy and paste a column into a blank worksheet to do this, it
would be okay.

If so, do I insert a row above all others to put the formula in just to
correct the text entries below that I want to change the case on?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duugg

Ugh! This is driving me crazy! Why is it not changing the names to
proper??:(

Sorry everyone, I feel oblivious to this. I've attached a pic of the
spreadsheet to show everyone that it's not changing the text to
proper.

I do have it set to automatic as well.

Again, thanks for everyone's help on this.

|Filename: untitled 4.bmp |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4689 |

duugg
duugg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33372
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duugg

I'm really bummin on this one.

--
duugg
duugg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33372
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary Brown

The format of cells F1 to F3 is probably set to Text, change this to
General, then on each of the cells, press F2 to edit, then press
Return.

--
Gary Brown
Gary Brown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17084

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duugg

Gary, unfortunately that whole column is set to general, good thinking
though, I hadn't checked that.

Any other ideas?

--
duugg
duugg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33372
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zack Barresse

You mean the target cell? After you type it the first time, select the
formula cell. What exactly does it say? Now press F2 and then Enter. Now
what does it say exactly?

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

"duugg" wrote in
message ...

Zack,

We'll it works if I type the name, erase it, and then re-type it. I
want to use this formula on 120 pre-existing cells. If I have to erase
it, and then retype it, it will defeat the purpose.

Is there a way to use this on pre-existing data. Obviously, even if I
have to copy and paste a column into a blank worksheet to do this, it
would be okay.

If so, do I insert a row above all others to put the formula in just to
correct the text entries below that I want to change the case on?

--
duugg
duugg's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duugg

Zack,

Okay, here is exactly what I'm doing

Cell F1 contains this =PROPER(E1)
Cell E1 (currently blank) I type "john smith" (without the quotes)
I press enter and nothing happens, nothing appears on the screen, case
stays the same (lower, not proper).

Thanks for sticking with this.

duugg

--
duugg
duugg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33372
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

F1 should read John Smith

E1 will read the "john smith" you typed into it and will not change.

What do you see in F1 after you type john smith in E1 and hit F9 in case you
have calculation at manual?

Gord

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:34:01 -0500, duugg
wrote:

Zack,

Okay, here is exactly what I'm doing

Cell F1 contains this =PROPER(E1)
Cell E1 (currently blank) I type "john smith" (without the quotes)
I press enter and nothing happens, nothing appears on the screen, case
stays the same (lower, not proper).

Thanks for sticking with this.

duugg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zack Barresse

After typing "john smith" (w/o quotes) in E1 and pressing enter, what
happens with each of the following:

(Try first)
Hitting F9

Selecting F1, press F2, Enter

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr

"duugg" wrote in message

Zack,

Okay, here is exactly what I'm doing

Cell F1 contains this =PROPER(E1)
Cell E1 (currently blank) I type "john smith" (without the quotes)
I press enter and nothing happens, nothing appears on the screen, case
stays the same (lower, not proper).

Thanks for sticking with this.

duugg

--
duugg
duugg's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duugg

Zack,

Nothing, nothing and nothing, no joke.

--
duugg
duugg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33372
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vcard

Any possibility that text format colour is set up as white, so that it's not
visible??

vcard

"duugg" wrote in
message ...

Zack,

Nothing, nothing and nothing, no joke.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FireWater

There is something wrong with the picture you posted.
F1 should not be displaying "=PROPER(E1)"

try using another column eg column G and try typing =proper(e1) note in
lowercase. Excel should automatically convert it to uppercase if it
recognized it as a valid excel function, otherwise set it General and
then try retyping the formula

:)

duugg Wrote:
Ugh! This is driving me crazy! Why is it not changing the names to
proper??:(

Sorry everyone, I feel oblivious to this. I've attached a pic of the
spreadsheet to show everyone that it's not changing the text to
proper.

I do have it set to automatic as well.

Again, thanks for everyone's help on this.

--
FireWater
FireWater's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33846
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=535552

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
starguy

if you enter the formula =PROPER(E1) in F1 this have no impact on the
contents of E1. E1 will remain the same as *john smith*. But after you
enter the formula =PROPER(E1) in F1 and press enter, F1 then will show
you the contents of E1 in PROPER CASE like this *John Smith*.

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duugg

No, text format is set to black as I see the name there in all small
fonts (no proper case).

Other than tools, options, calculation, automatic setting checked, is
there something else that should be checked to make this work?