Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CDWhite

Default Deleting cells and shifting "right"

Deleting cells prompts for shifting cells left, but not right. How can I
shift cells right?

I am working data records (rows) with seven fields (columns); for example:

1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005 BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK

How can I shift the data to the right?

BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK 1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005

I orignally tried selecting BLANK cells and deleting but I can only shift
left. Is there
another way?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Edwin Tam

There is no such an option for shifting cells right. I think most users start
using a spreadsheet from left to right (I'm not about the Indian users. But
even Chinese users do.) Therefore, normally, cells near the far right hand
side of the spreadsheet is likely to be empty. So, there should normally be
no problem creating new cells at the far right when shifting cells to the
left.

If shift to the right, new empty cells will be creating on the left of the
worksheet, ie. column A, B, C, etc., which is likely to create problem in
most spreadsheets.

Therefore, normally, if you can allow the cells to shift right, you'd better
move the cells to the right instead.

The case is very similar to that extremely few users would start using a
spreadsheet from row 65536 and then upward. There will need to be an option
in Excel to allow the default startup selection of a worksheet in cell IV6536
then.

Regards,
Edwin Tam

http://www.vonixx.com

"CDWhite" wrote:

Deleting cells prompts for shifting cells left, but not right. How can I
shift cells right?

I am working data records (rows) with seven fields (columns); for example:

1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005 BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK

How can I shift the data to the right?

BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK 1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005

I orignally tried selecting BLANK cells and deleting but I can only shift
left. Is there
another way?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

"CDWhite" wrote in message
Deleting cells prompts for shifting cells left, but not right. How can I
shift cells right?

I am working data records (rows) with seven fields (columns); for example:

1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005 BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK

How can I shift the data to the right?

BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK 1/1/2005 2/1/2005 3/1/2005

I orignally tried selecting BLANK cells and deleting but I can only shift
left. Is there
another way?

Insert, rather than Delete
Select the range of cells where you want the blanks inserting, then right
click, choose "Insert", then choose "shift cells right".

An alternative is to select the range of blanks you've got on the right,
Cut, then select where you want to insert, right click & Insert Cut Cells
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CDWhite

Thanks David and Edwin for the effort, but neither of the responses really
work for me. I believe I will have to create a short and sweet macro to go
one by one down the data records (all the rows) and sort by row (not column)
for each row. Thanks again. Chris

"David Biddulph" wrote in message
"CDWhite" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

To shift your cells 3 places to the right, ie, to shift A1, B1 and C1 to
C1, D1 and E1, select A1:C1 (3 cells for 3 spaces etc) and Insert, Shift
Cells Right

--

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=532860