Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
twaccess

Default New laptop - where are the custom button settings filed ?

I am in the process of transferring to a new laptop and have quite a few
custom menus and buttons which I'd like to transfer across. Does anyone
know where I can find these on my old machine so that I can copy them
across ?

Thanks

Terry

--
twaccess

twaccess's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2192
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=531206

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

*xlb is the menu file, if you search for it make sure you search hidden
files and folders

Peo Sjoblom

Northwest Excel Solutions

www.nwexcelsolutions.com

(remove ^^ from email address)

Portland, Oregon

"twaccess" wrote in
message ...

I am in the process of transferring to a new laptop and have quite a few
custom menus and buttons which I'd like to transfer across. Does anyone
know where I can find these on my old machine so that I can copy them
across ?

Thanks

Terry

--
twaccess

twaccess's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=531206

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Terry

Toolbar and Menu customizations are stored in your xxxxxx.XLB file where
xxxxxx is version-dependent name.

Excel 97.....username.xlb

Excel 2000...Excel9.xlb

Excel 2002...Excel10.xlb

Excel 2003...Excel11.xlb

Note: there may be other customizations you want to transfer at the same time.

Before reading further.......

Transferring your *.xlb file from 97 to 2003 will reduce the functionality
of new version menu items, although most of them can be dragged onto the old
menu.

Read on.........

NOTE: some settings are workbook-specific and would be stored with the
workbook.

For other global stored settings..........

Screen layout, color info, checked Add-ins and many ToolsOptions
settings are stored in the Registry, not in the *.XLB file.

To see some of what's stored in the Registry have a peek at this
section in it, if you feel comfortable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\E xcel\Options

XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

Assuming you are aware of the precautions taken when editing the
Registry and know how to restore a recent backup of same.......

If not, maybe have a look here first...scroll down to "Registry
editing tips"

http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/index.shtml

Export all these keys(as a branch group) to a .REG file so's you can
back them up.

Note also: you may want to move over your *.ACL(autocorrect files) and any
*.DIC files.

For a more comprehensive listing see Dave Peterson's posting at

http://snipurl.com/8r7x

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:36:21 -0500, twaccess
wrote:

I am in the process of transferring to a new laptop and have quite a few
custom menus and buttons which I'd like to transfer across. Does anyone
know where I can find these on my old machine so that I can copy them
across ?

Thanks

Terry

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
twaccess

Thanks Peo and Gord

I found the .xlb file and copied it to the same location on my new
laptop. But it doesn't load up with Excel and I have restarted the
laptop too in case that made a difference.

I am able to fire the xlb file up and when I do, it brings up the
toolbar arrangement as I have always had it before. Is this where I
need to dive into the registry....

Hmm, I could try deleting the xlb file and trying again by doing a
simple customisation to force the creation of a new .xlb file. Then
delete this and replace with the one I want....

Be right back......

--
twaccess

twaccess's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2192
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=531206

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
twaccess

Problem solved, it seemed to sort itself out all by itself once I'd
loaded the xlb file into Excel.

Thanks Guys again.