Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sgrech

Default Links - Please help

I am experiencing a very frustrating problem. I have a number of
seperate workbooks which contain statisics. I have attempted to
consolidated these stats on a master stat workbook via a series of
links. However my problem is that when I go into the master spreadheet
and I say yes to update links, the data doesn't refresh. However if I
then open one of the source spreadsheets where the stats are being
sourced from the data refreshes. Please can somebody explain this as
this problem is driving me crazy.

Thanks
Simon

--
sgrech
sgrech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14501

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sgrech

C'mon somebody must have some ideas on this??

Thanks in advance.
Simon

--
sgrech
sgrech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14501
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

Hi Simon,

I think you'll find it can only update when the linked books are open

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sgrech

EdMac Wrote:
Hi Simon,

I think you'll find it can only update when the linked books are open

Ed

Surely not, I am sure that I have had other instances where the
spredhseet with links in it has updated where the source workbook is
not open. Is anyone able to confirm one way or another whether this is
true?

Thanks
Simon

--
sgrech
sgrech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14501
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sgrech

Please help me someone. I'm desperate!!

--
sgrech
sgrech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14501
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Past the mind reading stage, you did not refute that the other workbooks
were not open. Excel like the people who wrote it and use it, is not a
mind reader and would have to have access to the file and open it in
order to update. For some things Excel may actually open a file even
if you don't see it and having been a programmer the concept of accessing
anything from an unopen file is outside of common reasoning. Excel will
never open a file for use INDIRECT as for anything else about using unopen files
it's something I don't know about and would not trust....

To begin with your question was not clear, and really still is not. But the
fact that the links (which ever terminolgy you are using) are dependent on the
other workbooks being accessible means that they have to be open.

1) obtain the value from another cell
2) hyperlink to anothr location, and there is a difference between
object links and HYPERLINK Worksheet Function, and with the
function if they addresses are inside of quotes they would never
be updated.
---
HTH,

"sgrech" wrote in message

Please help me someone. I'm desperate!!

--
sgrech
sgrech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14501
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sgrech

Hi David,
Thanks for your repsonse. I suppose I will just have to open the 30 or
so source spreadhseets.

Thanks
Simon

--
sgrech
sgrech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14501
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Another problem with terminology. I presume you mean workbooks because
that was what was mentioned
before. The term spreadsheet is a bit ambiguous as to whether one
is referring to a workbook or a worksheet. I don't know how far back you
would have to go where you could have only one worksheet in a file.

Of course on paper a spreadsheet was one piece of paper because it
is not plural..
---
HTH,