Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jaybird

Default Importing Formatted Data

Howdy, folks...

Here's a sample of the payroll info we get. How can I import it into excel
in an orderly way? All I need is the name and the in and out times. How do
I get Excel to import only the data I need?

Jojo, Sparks 123456 131204 88888888 700 101092770
ID IN DEP Cus Fun ACTIVITY OUT ID IN DEP
Cus Fun ACTIVITY OUT TOTALS
Mon 03/20 645a*U 1132a M 1200p*S
341p 8.50 8.50
Tue 03/21 649a*U 1124a M 1152a*S
330p 8.20 16.70
Wed 03/22 653a*U 1129a M 1137a*S
341p 8.30 25.00
Thu 03/23 647a*U 1135a M 1202p*S
341p 8.40 33.40
Fri 03/24 653a*U 1141a M 1155a*S
330p 8.10 41.50*U
Sat 03/25 Unscheduled

Sun 03/26 Unscheduled

Acct:131204 88888888 700
Regular: 40.00 OverTime: 1.50 TOTALS:
41.50

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

Can you request the payroll report as a delimited text file, this would make
it much easier for you to import.

If you click FILE from the menu and select OPEN and change the file type to
text file, the Text File Import Wizard automatically opens. The wizard lets
you pick which row to start the import on, what the delimiter is and what
columns to import.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Jaybird" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jaybird

Unfortunately, payroll is even less knowledgable about the formatting than I.
Getting them to send it in another format may prove to be a challenge. I am
familiar with the Import wizard, but I can't seem to use it to organize the
data in a useful way. I'd like to be able to put it in an Access database
once I separate out the useful information.

Jaybird