Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dgaex001

Default freeze window creates multiple "views" suffixed with ":n"

When I freeze windows on a workbook, additional copies are "viewable" from
the taskbar. Each time I freeze window another version appears. The name of
the "views" are the actual filename suffixed with ":n" as follows:

filename.ext:1
filename.ext:2

This is very annoying for a number of reasons and I want to turn it off. Any
ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

These windows aren't from Freezing panes. But they are from another option
under Window (on the menubar).

Window|new window

If you want to get rid of one of those windows, you can select the window to
close and hit ctrl-w.

Then save the workbook.

If Window|Freeze panes actually does create these windows, then you could try
resetting the toolbar:

tools|customize|toolbars tab|select worksheet menu bar
and click the Reset button

(any customized changes to that toolbar will be lost and have to be recreated.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dgaex001

Thank you Dave, you are right, the window|new window is true and the Ctl-W
works to kill it. But I never use that function, and I confimed that mine are
coming from the freeze funciton.
Try this:
Create a clean workbook. (Open excel to a blank sheet)
Fill in a few cells in adjacent rows/cols
Freeze window and scroll around. nothing happens.
Unfreeze windows - see if you get a second "view". (book1.xls:2 and
book1.xls:1)
You can get rid of them by closing all of them with :1 being the last one
closed, or Ctl-w works here also.
But, is there any way to disable this "feature"?

dgaex001 wrote:

When I freeze windows on a workbook, additional copies are "viewable" from
the taskbar. Each time I freeze window another version appears. The name of
the "views" are the actual filename suffixed with ":n" as follows:

filename.ext:1
filename.ext:2

This is very annoying for a number of reasons and I want to turn it off. Any
ideas?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

It didn't work that way for me.

Did you try resetting the toolbar (from the first post)?

dgaex001 wrote:

When I freeze windows on a workbook, additional copies are "viewable" from
the taskbar. Each time I freeze window another version appears. The name of
the "views" are the actual filename suffixed with ":n" as follows:

filename.ext:1
filename.ext:2

This is very annoying for a number of reasons and I want to turn it off. Any
ideas?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dgaex001

Hmm, the reset of the menu bar had no effect. I reset from the toolbar tab
and the options tab. Looks like I may be stuck with this....

dgaex001 wrote:

When I freeze windows on a workbook, additional copies are "viewable" from
the taskbar. Each time I freeze window another version appears. The name of
the "views" are the actual filename suffixed with ":n" as follows:

filename.ext:1
filename.ext:2

This is very annoying for a number of reasons and I want to turn it off. Any
ideas?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you close excel and reopen in Safe mode...

close excel
windows start button|run
excel /safe
and hit enter