Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Refman

Default Worksheet Tab Names

Does it matter what the name of a worksheet tab is at all? I would like to
place in a hyphen when I create the tab like Jan-Feb. When I calculate my
formulas will this hyphen mess me up when it comes to calculating? I would
think no since the tab is usually in quotes or so within the formula correct?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

You can use a hyphen in sheet names. When you need to refer to
that sheet, enclose the sheet name in single quotes:

='Jan-Feb'!A1

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Refman" wrote in message
Does it matter what the name of a worksheet tab is at all? I
would like to
place in a hyphen when I create the tab like Jan-Feb. When I
calculate my
formulas will this hyphen mess me up when it comes to
calculating? I would
think no since the tab is usually in quotes or so within the
formula correct?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John Cello

You're correct, the characters aren't seen as a part of a formula.

Hope this helps.
--
John Cello
John Cello Consulting

"Refman" wrote:

Does it matter what the name of a worksheet tab is at all? I would like to
place in a hyphen when I create the tab like Jan-Feb. When I calculate my
formulas will this hyphen mess me up when it comes to calculating? I would
think no since the tab is usually in quotes or so within the formula correct?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Next time you're experimenting, you can see how excel treats those names.

Create a test workbook with two worksheets. Call them A and B.

In B1, put
=a!a1

Now rename A to Jan-Feb and then look at what excel did to the formula.

Refman wrote:

Does it matter what the name of a worksheet tab is at all? I would like to
place in a hyphen when I create the tab like Jan-Feb. When I calculate my
formulas will this hyphen mess me up when it comes to calculating? I would
think no since the tab is usually in quotes or so within the formula correct?
Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Refman

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I wanted to make sure as someone at
work said they messed it up if you put hyphens and what not in. Thanks
again. ;)