Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dona

Default password protection in Excel

I have password protected an Excel worksheet but it can still be accessed
without using the password, and is therefore not protected! Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

Hi Dona,

When you set the password make sure you uncheck the box 'Allow Users to
select locked cells'. Obviously the cells need to be formatted to
protected.

HTH

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Protecting a worksheet won't stop users from accessing that worksheet--but it
will stop them from changing locked cells on that worksheet.

dona wrote:

I have password protected an Excel worksheet but it can still be accessed
without using the password, and is therefore not protected! Any ideas?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

When you say 'Accessed' do you mean open it or change it.

If you mean change it then my reply above applies. If you want to stop
it being opened then use 'Save as' and apply the option to password
protect it. Bear in mind that the Windows password protection system
can be got around with a little knowledge

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=520986

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dona

Thanks,

that seems to be working OK now. I appreciate your help.

Dona.