Sreeraman Thillaisthanam Seshadri

Default How to define separate Password Protection, to say 3 persons, for.

In an excel file: say with 20 columns of data: column A to G is entered &
maintained by Person 'A'
Another person 'B' enters & uses data in rest of columns form H onwards.
The total data in columna A to T is used used both by Person "A" as well as
Person "B"- for making reports: selecting data of one another.
I need to assign separate password rights to Person A & B anf read only to
any one else wanting to browse tha data.
HOW DO I DO THIS: Can any one help tell me if it is possible OR NOT.

The version of excel I use is: Excel 2000.

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

One possible solution.

On some network resource (on server), create 2 folders. Set user rights for
them, so that Person A has all rights on folder p.e. PersonA, and Person B
on PersonB, and rea-only access to other folder. Give read-only rights to
rest of users.

Instead of one single workbook, create separate workbooks for both User A
and User B, and place them into created folders.

In workbook in PersonA folder, allow entries into columns A:G only. The
columns H:S contain links to workbook in PersonB folder, the column T
contains summation formula. Cells in columns H:T are set to locked, in
columns A:G to unlocked, and the sheet is protected.

In workbook in PersonB folder, allow entries into columns H:S only. Use data
validation to restict any entries when come key field(s) in columns A:G on
same row is/are not filled. The columns A:G contain links to workbook in
PersonA folder, the column T contains summation formula. Cells in columns
A:G and H are set to locked, in columns H:S to unlocked, and the sheet is
protected.

For other users, create a report workbook, where all data are retrieved from
both workbooks in PersonA and PersonB folders through links. The sheet is
protected and all cells locked. Open the report workbook from every users
comp, and save-as it into his/her computer.

At same start, for all users allowed to use any of created workbooks, map
the network ressource under same label. So you avoid the need to edit links
fhen you copy workbooks to another location.

--
Arvi Laanemets
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil<Attarkon.ee)

"Sreeraman Thillaisthanam Seshadri" <Sreeraman Thillaisthanam
wrote in message
In an excel file: say with 20 columns of data: column A to G is entered &
maintained by Person 'A'
Another person 'B' enters & uses data in rest of columns form H onwards.
The total data in columna A to T is used used both by Person "A" as well

as
Person "B"- for making reports: selecting data of one another.
I need to assign separate password rights to Person A & B anf read only to
any one else wanting to browse tha data.
HOW DO I DO THIS: Can any one help tell me if it is possible OR NOT.

The version of excel I use is: Excel 2000.

Arvi Laanemets

Hi again

An additional bonus by such design is, that all users can access data at
same time without hindering others - no file sharing is implemented at all.