Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions
Who be dat?

Default Saving an entire workbook as a PDF using VBSCript

Hello all!

I'm using a VBScript file which I've added to Server 2003 scheduler to
automatically open up Excel, load it with a workbook which is in turn
populated with data, print it out, dynamically come up with a filename which
is figured off of the current date and time which is then appended to the
original filename of the workbook, save it in HTML format, then close
itself. Works like a charm.

I've decided I don't want to save the file in HTML format but would instead
like to save it in PDF. The reason being is HTML files can modified by any
with a text editor. PDF files are relatively permanent and secure which is
what I need.

I have Acrobat 6.0 Pro installed. I can use the print function, select
Adobe PDF as the printer, a prompt comes up asking for a file name to save
to, and it gets converted. At least when I do it manually it's like that.
I thought I could figure out how to do it within VBScript easily. As it
turns out, I'm freaking lost and have no idea how to do it. I was hoping
some info would be on Adobe's website but I'm not finding anything.

Anybody have any ideas? This workbook based report runs every 2 hours. I
have to be able to create a PDF with its own filename that I assign to it
and save it to a specified directory.

I don't have the vbscript file I'm using to do the above with handy at the
moment. If anyone wants it, just let me know and I'll post it later.

Thanks all!

Chris Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
exceluserforeman

Hello,

I do not know the vbscript for your task but, as an alternative, you can
save the spreadsheet as a picture!
How you may ask? see my Picture maker Utlity at:

http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway

You could then insert the Sheet.gif into a web page and the Viewer need not
have to download the file to view in Adobe Reader.

- -Mark

"Who be dat?" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
exceluserforeman

Hello, Just a note.
I think you need the PDF Addin then look in VB Editor Help for PDF

"Who be dat?" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
Peter Aitken

[...]

I believe that the Adobe PDF "printer" has an option to automatically print
to XXX.pdf where xxx is the workbook name. I suggest:

1) generating the desired PDF name (sans extension)
2) saving the workbbok as ThatName.xls
3) Printing to the PDF (ThatName.pdf)
4) Resaving the workbook with its original name.
5) Deleting ThatName.xls.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
wjohnson

Set up a "Watched Folder" folder using distiller - (you can open the
HELP menu and enter "Watched Folder" as the search item.
My folder was Convert PDF - then inside the folder there are 2 other
folders I named "In" and "Out." "In" is the saved postscript file
(XXX.ps), "Out" is where the files is moved when converted to pdf.
Then in your EXCEL document select FILE- PRINT then check "printing to
file box" - select "WORKBOOK"
Then in the printer selection box - select "DISTILLER" as your
printer.
You might have to OPEN the DISTILLER Properites box and UNCHECK the
Send "Dont Send Fonts" box.
Make sure you have a .ps as the last part of the file name - you might
have to change this manually - as I think Excel will put a .prn after
the file name.

Then you can double click the XXXXXX.ps file name and it will conver to
a pdf. If you use the "Watched Folder" option and you save the XXXXX.ps
file in the watched folder - it will convert automatically based upon
the "time interval" you specify.
I think you should be able to do the following in your script.
Have the file name as XXXXXX.ps
Save the file to your named "Watched folder"

Also you might check out www.planetpdf.com - as there is a bunch of
stuff there about pdf.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29640

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions
Britt

I would be interested in talking a look at the vbasript file, perhaps
then i might be able to see what is going on.