Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Laureen

Default How do I retain a zero as the first number in a postal code?

I've formatted the column as well as tried formatting just an individual cell
for Postal Code. It always drops the first number if it is a zero. I've
formatted the cell as text wtih an apostrophe and was able to retain the
zero. However, I have to remember to do this for every Postal Code that
begins with zero and it's incredibly inefficient process. I don't always
remember to do that and then when I merge my document and Postal Codes
beginning with a zero come over without the beginning zero! This document is
an an address database so I continually run into this problem. I've done
everything I can think of, and wasted alot of time trying to figure this out.
Can someone please assist me? Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

If you format the whole column as TEXT, then you do not need the leading
apostrophe's and the leading zero will be retained.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Laureen" wrote:

I've formatted the column as well as tried formatting just an individual cell
for Postal Code. It always drops the first number if it is a zero. I've
formatted the cell as text wtih an apostrophe and was able to retain the
zero. However, I have to remember to do this for every Postal Code that
begins with zero and it's incredibly inefficient process. I don't always
remember to do that and then when I merge my document and Postal Codes
beginning with a zero come over without the beginning zero! This document is
an an address database so I continually run into this problem. I've done
everything I can think of, and wasted alot of time trying to figure this out.
Can someone please assist me? Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vencopbrass

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I formatted the cell using the special
category, zip code type. I entered a 5 digit code with the first # a
zero. The cell shows the whole number including the zero.
Lisa

--
vencopbrass
vencopbrass's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31868

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

Select the colums where the zip codes are going to be entered and click
FORMAT in the menu and select CELLS. If necessary click the NUMBER tab. In
the CATEGORY list, select SPECIAL, and in the TYPE panel select Zip Code or
Zip Code + 4
--
Kevin Backmann

"Laureen" wrote:

I've formatted the column as well as tried formatting just an individual cell
for Postal Code. It always drops the first number if it is a zero. I've
formatted the cell as text wtih an apostrophe and was able to retain the
zero. However, I have to remember to do this for every Postal Code that
begins with zero and it's incredibly inefficient process. I don't always
remember to do that and then when I merge my document and Postal Codes
beginning with a zero come over without the beginning zero! This document is
an an address database so I continually run into this problem. I've done
everything I can think of, and wasted alot of time trying to figure this out.
Can someone please assist me? Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"Laureen" wrote in message
I've formatted the column as well as tried formatting just an individual
cell
for Postal Code. It always drops the first number if it is a zero. I've
formatted the cell as text wtih an apostrophe and was able to retain the
zero. However, I have to remember to do this for every Postal Code that
begins with zero and it's incredibly inefficient process. I don't always
remember to do that and then when I merge my document and Postal Codes
beginning with a zero come over without the beginning zero! This document
is
an an address database so I continually run into this problem. I've done
everything I can think of, and wasted alot of time trying to figure this
out.
Can someone please assist me? Thank you!

Format the cells as text BEFORE entering or copying data into them. Do it
for enough empty cells to take care of future needs.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Laureen

Default SOLVED! How do I retain a zero as the first number in a postal cod

Thanks everyone! Chuck's suggestion worked best forme. I've previously
tried all of your other suggestions and for some odd reason, it still kept
dropping the zero! Crazy, huh?!
Although when I formatted the column as Chuck suggested, I did have to go
back and re-enter a zero to all the Postal Codes I previously entered. The
foolish thing dropped them all!
Anyway, I'm all set now and I thank you!
Muchos Gracias Chuck!

"Laureen" wrote:

I've formatted the column as well as tried formatting just an individual cell
for Postal Code. It always drops the first number if it is a zero. I've
formatted the cell as text wtih an apostrophe and was able to retain the
zero. However, I have to remember to do this for every Postal Code that
begins with zero and it's incredibly inefficient process. I don't always
remember to do that and then when I merge my document and Postal Codes
beginning with a zero come over without the beginning zero! This document is
an an address database so I continually run into this problem. I've done
everything I can think of, and wasted alot of time trying to figure this out.
Can someone please assist me? Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

You're more than welcome, and thanks for the feedback.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3