Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Laureen

Default SOLVED! How do I retain a zero as the first number in a postal cod

Thanks everyone! Chuck's suggestion worked best forme. I've previously
tried all of your other suggestions and for some odd reason, it still kept
dropping the zero! Crazy, huh?!
Although when I formatted the column as Chuck suggested, I did have to go
back and re-enter a zero to all the Postal Codes I previously entered. The
foolish thing dropped them all!
Anyway, I'm all set now and I thank you!
Muchos Gracias Chuck!

"CLR" wrote:

If you format the whole column as TEXT, then you do not need the leading
apostrophe's and the leading zero will be retained.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Laureen" wrote:

I've formatted the column as well as tried formatting just an individual cell
for Postal Code. It always drops the first number if it is a zero. I've
formatted the cell as text wtih an apostrophe and was able to retain the
zero. However, I have to remember to do this for every Postal Code that
begins with zero and it's incredibly inefficient process. I don't always
remember to do that and then when I merge my document and Postal Codes
beginning with a zero come over without the beginning zero! This document is
an an address database so I continually run into this problem. I've done
everything I can think of, and wasted alot of time trying to figure this out.
Can someone please assist me? Thank you!