Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin

Default Data Validation - Restriction

Hi

I want to use data validation and have been looking at the website
www.contextures.com

From here I have used the following formula in my data validation / source
to link to a list and update automatically as new entires to my list are
added / deleted

=OFFSET(RegionStart,1,0,COUNTA(RegionColumn)-1,1)

The problem is it allows me to enter values not in the list (there are no
blank spaces when I select the list) and I would like to restrict this so
that only values on the list can be restricted

Thanks for your help

--
Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Kevin,
In my testing (XL2003) I can only enter data from the list when
I select LIST as a DV option; anything else produces an error.

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi

I want to use data validation and have been looking at the website
www.contextures.com

From here I have used the following formula in my data validation / source
to link to a list and update automatically as new entires to my list are
added / deleted

=OFFSET(RegionStart,1,0,COUNTA(RegionColumn)-1,1)

The problem is it allows me to enter values not in the list (there are no
blank spaces when I select the list) and I would like to restrict this so
that only values on the list can be restricted

Thanks for your help

--
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin

Hi - so I am selecting Allow = "list" also and then Data is greyed out and
then source "=OFFSET(RegionStart,1,0,COUNTA(RegionColumn)-1,1)"

The list works fine but I can also enter any text i like but I want to
restrict to the list

any ideas?
--
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi

I want to use data validation and have been looking at the website
www.contextures.com

From here I have used the following formula in my data validation / source
to link to a list and update automatically as new entires to my list are
added / deleted

=OFFSET(RegionStart,1,0,COUNTA(RegionColumn)-1,1)

The problem is it allows me to enter values not in the list (there are no
blank spaces when I select the list) and I would like to restrict this so
that only values on the list can be restricted

Thanks for your help

--
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Check a DV setting:

Data|Validation
Switch to the "Error Alert" tab
Is the "Show error alert..." box UNCHECKED"

If yes, the cell wil allow anything you type.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi

I want to use data validation and have been looking at the website
www.contextures.com

From here I have used the following formula in my data validation / source
to link to a list and update automatically as new entires to my list are
added / deleted

=OFFSET(RegionStart,1,0,COUNTA(RegionColumn)-1,1)

The problem is it allows me to enter values not in the list (there are no
blank spaces when I select the list) and I would like to restrict this so
that only values on the list can be restricted

Thanks for your help

--
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Sorry .. none!

This was my DV:

"=OFFSET($A$1,1,0,COUNTA(A:A),1)"

Do you want to post sample file to me and I'll look at it?
)

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi

I want to use data validation and have been looking at the website
www.contextures.com

From here I have used the following formula in my data validation / source
to link to a list and update automatically as new entires to my list are
added / deleted

=OFFSET(RegionStart,1,0,COUNTA(RegionColumn)-1,1)

The problem is it allows me to enter values not in the list (there are no
blank spaces when I select the list) and I would like to restrict this so
that only values on the list can be restricted

Thanks for your help

--
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Ron,
So obvious - flag is automatically set (in XL2003) so assumed
this to be the state!

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi

I want to use data validation and have been looking at the website
www.contextures.com

From here I have used the following formula in my data validation / source
to link to a list and update automatically as new entires to my list are
added / deleted

=OFFSET(RegionStart,1,0,COUNTA(RegionColumn)-1,1)

The problem is it allows me to enter values not in the list (there are no
blank spaces when I select the list) and I would like to restrict this so
that only values on the list can be restricted

Thanks for your help

--
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin

hi - error alert did not help

I tired using your formula below and it works exactly how I would like it -
therefore the issues appears to be because I am using a reference (eg
"RegionStart" instead of "$A1$") and/or the reference is contained on a
different sheet within the workbook

any thoughts

--
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi

I want to use data validation and have been looking at the website
www.contextures.com

From here I have used the following formula in my data validation / source
to link to a list and update automatically as new entires to my list are
added / deleted

=OFFSET(RegionStart,1,0,COUNTA(RegionColumn)-1,1)

The problem is it allows me to enter values not in the list (there are no
blank spaces when I select the list) and I would like to restrict this so
that only values on the list can be restricted

Thanks for your help

--
Kevin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Kevin,
My testing produced the same results as yours i.e. works if
$A$1 but not with the named variable. What is RegionColumn?

"Kevin" wrote:

Hi

I want to use data validation and have been looking at the website
www.contextures.com

From here I have used the following formula in my data validation / source