Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Yohanne the Great

Default Suppress protection alerts in Excel

I somehow want to turn off the alert-box that always pops up when any
keyboard keystrokes are made in protected cells in a protected worksheet.
When a keystroke is made in these protected cells, I want the result to be
nothing, a dead keyboard, no pop up -- the user already knows that these are
not active entry cells and does not need a pop up reminder.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
famdamly

I don't think I'm qualified to help but have you tried

on error.resume
that type a deal.

--
famdamly
famdamly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29382

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB

One way to turn it off

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

However, this will disable other alerts (such as "Are you sure" before you
delete a sheet, or when Excel asks you if you want to save before closing the
workbook).

You could put these event handlers in the ThisWorkbook module to toggle the
alerts on/off. By toggling it on before closing, excel will ask if you want
to save the workbook before closing if you've not already done so. Of
course, if the user tries to close the workbook then cancels through the save
changes dialog box and continues to work, alerts will be activated.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

"Yohanne the Great" wrote:

I somehow want to turn off the alert-box that always pops up when any
keyboard keystrokes are made in protected cells in a protected worksheet.
When a keystroke is made in these protected cells, I want the result to be
nothing, a dead keyboard, no pop up -- the user already knows that these are
not active entry cells and does not need a pop up reminder.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You can't change the message, but you can stop them from selecting locked cells
on a protected sheet.

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Dim wks As Worksheet
Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1")
With wks
.Protect password:="hi"
.EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
End With

Yohanne the Great wrote:

I somehow want to turn off the alert-box that always pops up when any
keyboard keystrokes are made in protected cells in a protected worksheet.
When a keystroke is made in these protected cells, I want the result to be
nothing, a dead keyboard, no pop up -- the user already knows that these are
not active entry cells and does not need a pop up reminder.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Yohanne the Great

Excellent: The help note performed exactly what I wanted it to do. Be
advised, however, that the sheet name nomenclature must be precise in terms
of upper-case and lower-case. This gave a few initial problems -- the help
advice didn't work -- but it was because of the nomenclature issue (i.e.,
"sheet1" didn't work -- it had to be "Sheet 1", the precise name of my Excel
sheet). But I figured that out -- maybe this will help others. Thanks so
much!!!

Yohanne the Great wrote:

I somehow want to turn off the alert-box that always pops up when any
keyboard keystrokes are made in protected cells in a protected worksheet.
When a keystroke is made in these protected cells, I want the result to be
nothing, a dead keyboard, no pop up -- the user already knows that these are
not active entry cells and does not need a pop up reminder.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

The name has to match, but case isn't important:

"sheet 1" and "Sheet 1" and "ShEeT 1"
would all work