Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kbkst via OfficeKB.com

Default Revision

I previously submitted a question regarding copying and pasting a phone
number. I found that we no longer need to have a 1 in front of the phone
number..Yeah! My question now is: I am copying and pasting from a web site
onto my spreadsheet. When I paste it comes out as (216) 444-3333. My
spreadsheet is set up as area code (C2), my phone number (D2). I would like
to be able to paste into C2 which is area code, and have excel automatically
move the phone number to D2. Is there a formula for this?
Thank you to all that have tried to help previously! Hope you can help again.

kbkst

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

You can paste the lot into C2, make sure column D is empty, do datatext to
columns, select delimited, next and select space as delimiter, click finish,
that should put (216) in C2 and 444-3333 in D2
You can record a macro if you do this often and after you have pasted in the
same column just run the macro

Peo Sjoblom

Northwest Excel Solutions

Portland, Oregon

"kbkst via OfficeKB.com" <u18755@uwe wrote in message
I previously submitted a question regarding copying and pasting a phone
number. I found that we no longer need to have a 1 in front of the phone
number..Yeah! My question now is: I am copying and pasting from a web
site
onto my spreadsheet. When I paste it comes out as (216) 444-3333. My
spreadsheet is set up as area code (C2), my phone number (D2). I would
like
to be able to paste into C2 which is area code, and have excel
automatically
move the phone number to D2. Is there a formula for this?
Thank you to all that have tried to help previously! Hope you can help
again.

kbkst

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vezerid

If all you are concerned with is to extract the phone number in D2,
then in D2:

=RIGHT(C2,8)

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kbkst via OfficeKB.com

Peo Sjoblom:
Thank you so much, this worked great, however, how do I run a macro on this?
I need to run it completely down my spreadsheet in columns C & D. Sorry, but
I am sort of a novice to excel.
Thank you,
kbkst

Peo Sjoblom wrote:
You can paste the lot into C2, make sure column D is empty, do datatext to
columns, select delimited, next and select space as delimiter, click finish,
that should put (216) in C2 and 444-3333 in D2
You can record a macro if you do this often and after you have pasted in the
same column just run the macro

I previously submitted a question regarding copying and pasting a phone
number. I found that we no longer need to have a 1 in front of the phone

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

kbkst

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Record a macro from when you paste the info into C2, then while still
selected apply the text to columns
looks something like this which was what I got

Range("C2").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("C2"), DataType:=xlDelimited,
_
TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=True, Tab:=True,
_
Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=True, Other:=False, FieldInfo
_
:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True

you record macros under toolsmacrorecord new macro, set up a shortcut
maybe and put it into personal macro workbook, then you can start learning
about macros and edit the recorded macros so it will paste it in any cell
that you choose etc.. You can even end up with a macro that opens another
file, copy the necessary info and paste it, uses text to columns to parse
it..