Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chin_un_len

Default Where to store macros?

when I create a macro I save it in excel as macroxxx.xls when I create
the new file I have both files open, the macroxxx.xls and the
newfile.xls then I go tools, macro, macros, run on the new file.
Is there really a need to have both files open in order to run the
macro?
is there a place I can save the macro and then when I open the new file
just retrieve the macro from within that file?

Thanks in advance to any one that answers.

--
chin_un_len
chin_un_len's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30914

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You'll need the workbook with the macro open to be able to see it in the
tools|macro|macros dialog.

Lots of people create a workbook named personal.xls where they keep these kinds
of generic utilities.

They store this personal.xls in their XLStart folder so that each time excel
opens, so does their utility workbook.

And usually personal.xls is a hidden workbook. If you let excel do the work,
it'll get created this way.

But if you create your own, you can make sure that personal.xls is active, then
use window|Hide to hide that personal.xls workbook.

Then close excel. You'll be prompted to save personal.xls. Next time you open
it (manually or via XLStart), it'll open hidden.

chin_un_len wrote:

when I create a macro I save it in excel as macroxxx.xls when I create
the new file I have both files open, the macroxxx.xls and the
newfile.xls then I go tools, macro, macros, run on the new file.
Is there really a need to have both files open in order to run the
macro?
is there a place I can save the macro and then when I open the new file
just retrieve the macro from within that file?

Thanks in advance to any one that answers.

--
chin_un_len
chin_un_len's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30914
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511252

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

Macros must be stored in workbooks, and the containing workbook
must be open in order to run the macro. Most people store
commonly used macros in their Personal.xls file, hide that
workbook, and store it in the XLStart directory, typically
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart. Files in this
workbook automatically open when Excel is started.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"chin_un_len"
wrote
in message

when I create a macro I save it in excel as macroxxx.xls when I
create
the new file I have both files open, the macroxxx.xls and the
newfile.xls then I go tools, macro, macros, run on the new
file.
Is there really a need to have both files open in order to run
the
macro?
is there a place I can save the macro and then when I open the
new file
just retrieve the macro from within that file?

Thanks in advance to any one that answers.

--
chin_un_len
chin_un_len's Profile:
View this thread: