Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
malakingaso

Default How do I protect certain cells?

I need to protect certain cells on my spreadsheet. How do I do so? I
only see an option to protect worksheet or workbook.

--
malakingaso
malakingaso's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31273

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul B

malakingaso,

By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you
want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the
go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want,
now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited. Be aware that this
protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy,
but it will work for most people .

If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then
go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells
you want to lock and go to format cells and check locked, the go to tools,
protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now the cells
that you locked can not be edited
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"malakingaso"
wrote in message

I need to protect certain cells on my spreadsheet. How do I do so? I
only see an option to protect worksheet or workbook.

--
malakingaso
malakingaso's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511054

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

One of the properties of each cell in the workbook is Locked, which you can
find on the format dialog box on the PROTECTION page.

By default all cells are set to LOCKED, so that when you turn protection on
from the TOOLS menu, all cells having the LOCKED property set to on become
protected.

To protect only certain cells, select the cell you wish to have available to
your user and clic FORMAT in the menu, select CELLS, click the PROTECTION tab
and turn protection off. Then click on TOOLS and protect the worksheet to
protect he cells that still have PROTECTION turned on.

--
Kevin Backmann

"malakingaso" wrote:

I need to protect certain cells on my spreadsheet. How do I do so? I
only see an option to protect worksheet or workbook.

--
malakingaso
malakingaso's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31273
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511054

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Cells are locked or unlocked (format|cells|protection tab)

The "locked-ness" of the cell doesn't really do much until the worksheet is
protected. (Tools|protection|protect sheet).

So lock the cells you want (should be the default state unless you changed
something) and unlock the cells you want unlocked. Then protect the sheet and
you're off and running.

Remember that worksheet passwords are very easily broken. It's really not meant
for security.

malakingaso wrote:

I need to protect certain cells on my spreadsheet. How do I do so? I
only see an option to protect worksheet or workbook.

--
malakingaso
malakingaso's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31273
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511054