Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
r_m_i

Default excel exits unexpectedly or hangs the second time I open workbook

Background
I have a group of linked workbooks which need to be updated at the same
time. Most of the workbooks use a large number of VLOOKUP calls (approx
40K per workbook) so I use simple macros to open the files in sequence.

I also use a macro to add blocks of data structures to each workbook.
This has recently caused the above issue.

The macro opens each workbook and its pre-cursor workbooks in sequence
(eliminating out of memory issues) and checks to make sure the block to
be added does not duplicate an existing data block. The checked workbook
is then closed (with savechanges:=false) - the macro then goes on to the
next workbook and repeats the process.
Once each workbook has been checked and no duplication will occur the
macro then goes back through the workbooks and adds the block of data
structure to each workbook. When the data structure has been added to
the workbook, the workbook is saved and the following workbook is
updated.

Issue
Excel either hangs ups or unexpectedly exits part way through the
update portion of the macro. No error codes are set. The issue is
always during a workbooks.open filename:="blah.xls" ,
updatelinks:=false where "blah.xls" could be one of several files.
"blah.xls" has already been opened successfully in the first part of
the macro and closed without setting any error codes.
"blah.xls" does not seem to be corrupted as I can open the file after
one of these events and none of the calculations have failed.

Does anyone have any insight?
I am running Excel 2002 on XP professional with an up to date virus
scan. The issue occurs on multiple machines using local or server
drives.

--
r_m_i