Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BigPig

Default Inserting an Image or Line

I have a form, in which I need lines drawn through certain cells if certain
conditions are met. I have tried 'strikethrough' but it is too faint, and
making it bold isn't what I want either.

Example, in one cell I have "His", in the next is "Her". I have recreated a
form that puts a "strikethrough" through one or the other if the applicant is
male or female. Like I mentioned, it is too faint.

Is it possible to create a formula or macro that will insert a 'line' or
'image' into a cell if certain conditions are met? Or is it possible to
thicken the 'strikethrough' line?

Thankyou!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Have you thought about using Format|Conditional formatting.

Maybe changing the fill color would be sufficient.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BigPig

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Have you thought about using Format|Conditional formatting.

Maybe changing the fill color would be sufficient.

Yes, however, it wouldn't be sufficient. The form is the kind that is
scrutinized. So anything that is too much out of place would not be received
well. What I have thought about was to create an image of the word "His", and
in paint draw a thick line through it and save it. Then find a way by using a
formula or macro to insert it in a certain cell. The problem is I don't know
how I would go about doing this via macros. And I want to keep the form
organic. Meaning, I don't want to put it in a folder with the images. Would
it be possible to place the image(s) in cells in another worksheet and then
devise a macro/formula to draw from that? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You could do it, but I wouldn't.

I would think that those pictures would cause more trouble than what they're
worth--sorting/filtering may cause a bunch of trouble.

If I really wanted something "organic", I'd stick with format|Conditional
formatting. In fact, I'd even use a separate column of formulas and put an
indicator there.

I can use that column of indicators for lots of things that format|conditional
formatting (and pictures) can't be used.

BigPig wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BigPig

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

You could do it, but I wouldn't.

I would think that those pictures would cause more trouble than what they're
worth--sorting/filtering may cause a bunch of trouble.

If I really wanted something "organic", I'd stick with format|Conditional
formatting. In fact, I'd even use a separate column of formulas and put an
indicator there.

I can use that column of indicators for lots of things that format|conditional
formatting (and pictures) can't be used.

Thankyou for your advice! Ordinarily I consider myself an advanced user of
excel, but there is always something new to learn, and maybe I am not as
advanced as I think I am.

Also, this form wouldn't need to be filtered or sorted.

So, I don't understand what you mean when you say "use a separate column of
formulas and put an indicator there."

Thankyou again for your input.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Say your data is in A2:Axx.

Insert a new column B and put a formula like:

=if(a2="his","<--Male--","<--Female--")

or anything you want:
=if(a2="his","<--Male--","")

so that the males stand out more (which is right and proper, oh, oh!)

BigPig wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BigPig

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Say your data is in A2:Axx.

Insert a new column B and put a formula like:

=if(a2="his","<--Male--","<--Female--")

or anything you want:
=if(a2="his","<--Male--","")

so that the males stand out more (which is right and proper, oh, oh!)

Thankyou for your explanation. Sorry for not seeing the light!

Now, I understand your response. Thankyou. I will try that, but I think that
it won't be what 'they' want.

Do you think it is possible to insert via formula or macro an image into a
cell or cells?

You should know that this form does not require data to be stored or
accessed, except via formula, or if it requires data to be retrieved from
another sheet that is 'organic' to the form. It is a 'free standing' form.

Thankyou for your time and effort.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I still wouldn't do it...

But J.E. McGimpsey has a routine that you may be able to use.

You can put the picture where you want it and hide it based on the value of a
cell.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html