Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zakynthos

Default Protecting locked cells

I would like to protect locked cells in a worksheet but at the same time
allow the user to group and ungroup columns.

Can this be done?

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you already have the outline/subtotals applied, you can protect the worksheet
in code (auto_open/workbook_open??).

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
With Worksheets("sheet1")
.Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True
.EnableOutlining = True
.EnableAutoFilter = True
End With
End Sub

It needs to be reset each time you open the workbook. (excel doesn't remember
it after closing the workbook.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you select a few cells (say A:C), then do Data|Group and outline|group,
you'll see that you get outlining symbols across the top.

It can be useful if you want to hide/show columns (or rows) quickly.