Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike Busch

Default Help with formula

We have a worksheet that we use for time management. It has the day's of the
week vertically, with 15 minute increments. To the left is a list from 1 to
10 on the possible job duties we would place in the time slots. I would like
to have a formula that would tell me how many each of a particular job duty I
would spend on during the day. Example.
1 E Mail
2 Projects
3 Quotes
4 research
And so on...

7:00 - 2
7:15 - 2
7:30 - 3
7:45 - 2
8:00 -2
8:15 - 1
8:30 - 1
8:45 - 2
And so on...

I would like to select the range and tell me how many times a particular job
appears in a day. thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

You can use the COUNTIF(Range, Criteria) function. The following example
would count the occurrences of Email in the range B1:B20

=COUNTIF(B1:B20,"=Email")

--
Kevin Backmann

"Mike Busch" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

You only need a single column, say column B:
2
2
3
2
2
1
1
2
then
=COUNTIF(B1:B8,"=2") will yield 5 the number of increments for projects
(code#2)
use "=1", etc. for the other codes.
--
Gary's Student

"Mike Busch" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

I would do it slightly differently, use the code name not value

=COUNTIF(B:B,INDEX(I:I,MATCH("Projects",J:J,0)))

where I holds the job code, J the job names, and B the job code against
time.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mike Busch" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

I think it depends on how your data is setup, try one of these:

scenerio 1: dates repeated down the column for every time increment and time
in the ajacent column
e.g
col(A)-Col(B)-Col(C)
31/1/06 - 7:00 - 2
31/1/06 - 7:15 - 1
1/2/06 - 7:00 - 5
1/2/06 - 7:15 - 2

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$1000=TODAY())*($C$1:$C$1000=2 ))*TIME(0,15,0)
or
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$1000=$D$1)*($C$1:$C$1000=D2)) *TIME(0,15,0)
where D1 is a date and D2 is a code to lookup.

scenerio 2:dates in column followed by time increments till the next day
e.g
Col(A)-Col(B)
31/1/06
7:00 - 2
7:15 - 1
1/2/06
7:00 - 5
7:15 - 4

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("B"&ROW(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(TODAY(), A:A,0)+1))&":B"&ROW(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(TODAY(),A:A,0) +41))),1)*TIME(0,15,0)
where 41 is the number of time increments during a day and the last "1" in
the formula is a code to lookup...again you can use cells instead that hold
the date and code.

scenerio 3: dates in column (a single date entry for the entire day) with
time increments in the adjacent column
e.g
Col(A)-Col(B)-Col(C)
31/1/06 - 7:00 - 4
- 7:15 - 2
1/2/06 - 7:00 - 3
- 7:15 - 2

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("C"&ROW(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(TODAY(), A:A,0)))&":C"&ROW(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(TODAY(),A:A,0)+4 1))),1)*TIME(0,15,0)
again I would use cell references, especially for the codes then you could
type the formula adjacent to the first code on your list and copy down with
cells formatted as "h:mm".

Hope this helps!
Jean-Guy