Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ahmad Wali Zahid

Default Name command in Insert Menu

Dear all

I will appreciat if anyone could please describe the usage of the

Name -- Define etc commands

in the Insert Menu of Office 2003. I know about a few of them not all...

--
Eager to Program in DOT net
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

The simplest way is that you can name a range of cells. As an example, if
you select cells A1:A10 and then goto InsertNameDefine..., you will see
that range in the RefersTo field. Add a name of say myRange, and then in a
formula you can use say

=SUM(myRange)

instead of

=SUM(A1:A10)

You can also create names that are constant values, such as VAT with a value
of say 17.5%, or a function, such as VLOOKUP(A1,$M$1:$P$100,3,False), which
can also be used in formulae.

Very useful, as it can be a repository of frequently used functions, and by
using good names, it aids documentation.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Ahmad Wali Zahid" wrote in