Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
worken

Default How do I change the default attribute in excel?

Every time I save a back-up copy of my workbooks to a cd or a floppy, the
back-up is automaticaly saved as a "read-only" file. Is there a way to stop
this automatic attribute assignment?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anne Troy

This occurs when you save to a CD because CD burners create read-only
copies. You can't edit them directly on the CD (usually). This shouldn't
occur on a floppy, and I can't imagine why it would be, but you might want
to read up on using floppies anyway:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/w...oft_office.htm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"worken" wrote in message
Every time I save a back-up copy of my workbooks to a cd or a floppy, the
back-up is automaticaly saved as a "read-only" file. Is there a way to
stop
this automatic attribute assignment?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi .......,
To remove the read-only attribute for files restored from a CD see
Backup your files, always take backups
Files Restored from a CD backup reported as Read-Only (#readonly)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...p.htm#readonly

Never create files to removable media directly from Excel
When copying files from HD to a backup device choose a method that does
not set the read-only bit attribute.
---
HTH,

"worken" wrote ...