Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mariano

Default Referencing a Merged cell

Often on one of my workbooks I need to reference a cell from either another
workbook or worksheet. I usually have both workbooks open so I just hit the
equal sign and click on the cell i want referenced. However when I do that
when I am trying to reference a merged cell it automaticall pulls up a range
of both of the merged cells and retuns a #value.
Is there anyway to click on it and actually have it pull up a single cell
instead of creating something like?:
Sheet2!A1:B1
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech

I can't repro this problem. I tried Excel 97 through 2003 since you didn't
mention your version.

--
Jim
"Mariano" wrote in message
| Often on one of my workbooks I need to reference a cell from either
another
| workbook or worksheet. I usually have both workbooks open so I just hit
the
| equal sign and click on the cell i want referenced. However when I do
that
| when I am trying to reference a merged cell it automaticall pulls up a
range
| of both of the merged cells and retuns a #value.
| Is there anyway to click on it and actually have it pull up a single cell
| instead of creating something like?:
| Sheet2!A1:B1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Not that I know of, although you can always adjust it afterwards.

Just another problem with merged cells.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Mariano" wrote in message
Often on one of my workbooks I need to reference a cell from either

another
workbook or worksheet. I usually have both workbooks open so I just hit

the
equal sign and click on the cell i want referenced. However when I do

that
when I am trying to reference a merged cell it automaticall pulls up a

range
of both of the merged cells and retuns a #value.
Is there anyway to click on it and actually have it pull up a single cell
instead of creating something like?:
Sheet2!A1:B1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I just tried this in xl2003 and the formula that excel build just used one
cell.

But the way excel treats merged cells has changed since xl97.

Until you upgrade, maybe you could just backspace after selecting that merged
area????

(Not a pretty solution, huh?)

Mariano wrote:

Often on one of my workbooks I need to reference a cell from either another
workbook or worksheet. I usually have both workbooks open so I just hit the
equal sign and click on the cell i want referenced. However when I do that
when I am trying to reference a merged cell it automaticall pulls up a range
of both of the merged cells and retuns a #value.
Is there anyway to click on it and actually have it pull up a single cell
instead of creating something like?:
Sheet2!A1:B1

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mariano

sorry, it is version 2002.
I have been just using the backspace.
Which works fine for my personal use, but a few other people will be using
this who have very little experience with excel.
Perhaps I will just have to try and keep these cells seperate.