Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
laralea

Default Date Formatting problem

Seems simple enough, but how do I change the formatting of the first two to
match the 2nd two. I've already tried various ways to reformat the date
including using the format painter. (The spreadsheet is resistant to change!)

11/30/2004 00:00:00
11/30/2004 00:00:00
12/31/04
12/31/04

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bpeltzer

If you are using the format painter and seeing no change, you've probably got
text data and need to convince Excel to convert it to a number. Easiest way:
enter 0 in some blank cell and copy it (ctrl+C). Then select your resistant
cells and Edit Paste Special. Select values and add then click OK. That
should convert to a numeric value so you should then be able to format as a
date.
--Bruce

"laralea" wrote:

Seems simple enough, but how do I change the formatting of the first two to
match the 2nd two. I've already tried various ways to reformat the date
including using the format painter. (The spreadsheet is resistant to change!)

11/30/2004 00:00:00
11/30/2004 00:00:00
12/31/04
12/31/04

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nick B

If after you use the format painter, you double-click on one of the dates at
the top and hit enter, does it change the format?

"laralea" wrote:

Seems simple enough, but how do I change the formatting of the first two to
match the 2nd two. I've already tried various ways to reformat the date
including using the format painter. (The spreadsheet is resistant to change!)

11/30/2004 00:00:00
11/30/2004 00:00:00
12/31/04
12/31/04

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
laralea

This doesn't work. I'm not understanding why I should paste a 0 value over
the dates? If I paste format, it doesn't work.

"laralea" wrote:

Seems simple enough, but how do I change the formatting of the first two to
match the 2nd two. I've already tried various ways to reformat the date
including using the format painter. (The spreadsheet is resistant to change!)

11/30/2004 00:00:00
11/30/2004 00:00:00
12/31/04
12/31/04

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bpeltzer

I'm not suggesting you paste a 0 'over'; by selecting the 'add' w/in paste
values, this would ADD a 0 to the existing value. If the original entry is
numeric, this does nothing; if it's NOT numeric, this forces it to a number.
Because you said that the format painter did nothing, my hunch is that the
entry was non-numeric. So this would force it to a number which should then
accept the date format you desire.