Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Quaisne

Default Counting how many different names in a long list

I have a list of 332 names many of them are duplicated. I am looking for
a formula or function that can count how many unique names there are in
the list.

Can anyone help?

--
Quaisne
Quaisne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28052

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

This'll count the number of distinct values in a range:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A99<"")/COUNTIF(A1:A99,A1:A99&""))

(adjust the range to match, but don't use the whole column)

Quaisne wrote:

I have a list of 332 names many of them are duplicated. I am looking for
a formula or function that can count how many unique names there are in
the list.

Can anyone help?

--
Quaisne
Quaisne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28052
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501357

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Quaisne

That works fine.

When I put it in a cell of its' own it gives the correct answer of 56.
I then wanted to add 2 to it as I know there are 2 lots of duplicate
names that are different people. That worked fine as well with just +2
at the end of the formula.

But when I put it in a concatenate function for some reason it gave the
answer as 58.0000000000001 and it refuses to be formatted, even if I put
it into a seperate hidden cell and format that cell. It appears as 58 on
a cell on its own but as the other value in any text string including
just using &

Still I do not need it in a concatenate function, it just appeared
neater that way. I was just curious though but thanks anyway as that
does solve my problem.

--
Quaisne
Quaisne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28052
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501357

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You can use =round() or =text() in your formula that concatenates:

="this is some text: " & text(a1,"#,##0")
or
="this is some text: " & round(a1,0)

Quaisne wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Quaisne

Unfortunately I still can not get that to work.

my formula is

=(SUMPRODUCT((E2:E336<"")/COUNTIF(E2:E336,E2:E336&""))+2&" different
scorers")

How do I incorporate

="this is some text: " & text(a1,"#,##0")
or
="this is some text: " & round(a1,0)

into that to make it work. I either get a value error or the same
answer. :)

--
Quaisne
Quaisne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28052
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501357

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cutter

In case you're anxious for some help, try this:

=ROUND(SUMPRODUCT((E2:E336<"")/COUNTIF(E2:E336,E2:E336&"")),0)+2&"
different scorers"

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Quaisne

Thanks that works fine now.:)

I understood what Dave meant about a1.

What I was doing wrong was putting the ,0 at the very end of the
formula after different scorers.:(

--
Quaisne
Quaisne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28052
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501357

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cutter

Glad you got it working. I know what it's like to ask for help and then
wait for what seems like forever while you're trying hard to get
something to work.