Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Default custom autofilter does not work

Hi there,

I have Microsoft Excel 2003 version (dont know if makes a difference but i
mention it). I have a list with numbers and I have Autofilter activated but
when I selected Custom and then the option "begins with" or "contains" it
does not bring any result. Even when I selected the hole number that I want
to filter (although I want all the numbers that start with some common digits
with this one).

I dont know if this version has any problem with that thing. I have used the
same feature in the past with previous versions and it worked just fine.

If anybody has something in mind I would be very grateful
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Are you trying this with a number? You can't do that, begins with is for
text, if you want a number you need to get that number from a help column
using a formula like

=LEFT(A2)

copy down then filter on that particular value in the help column

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Max" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have Microsoft Excel 2003 version (dont know if makes a difference but i
mention it). I have a list with numbers and I have Autofilter activated
but
when I selected Custom and then the option "begins with" or "contains" it
does not bring any result. Even when I selected the hole number that I
want
to filter (although I want all the numbers that start with some common
digits
with this one).

I dont know if this version has any problem with that thing. I have used
the
same feature in the past with previous versions and it worked just fine.

If anybody has something in mind I would be very grateful

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If all the numbers are the say between 10,000 and 99,000, you could use a custom
filter of greater than And Less than.

If you want to show numbers that start with 12, like 12345 and 121, then you
could use another column and fill it with formulas:

=a2&""

The &"" will make excel treat the entry as text and you can do what you want.

--

Dave Peterson