Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
djbeenie

Default Saved Excel sheet - information disapearing

Hello everyone, I have searched high and low and nothing seems to
surface. We have an excel data sheet on a shared server that only 7
people have access to it. When they save the sheet when they are done,
some information gets lost (new cells and text disapear). I don't know
how to be more specific than that.

The sheet is not opened by another user, so it is not in read only
mode. I can't find anything on tech net nor google.

Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Regards,
Beenie

--
djbeenie
djbeenie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30010

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

djbeenie wrote:
Hello everyone, I have searched high and low and nothing seems to
surface. We have an excel data sheet on a shared server that only 7
people have access to it. When they save the sheet when they are done,
some information gets lost (new cells and text disapear). I don't know
how to be more specific than that.

The sheet is not opened by another user, so it is not in read only
mode. I can't find anything on tech net nor google.

Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Regards,
Beenie

-------------------------

Do *all* of their changes get lost? Or just selected bits?

I'm wondering if their systems are storing the changed file in some other
location on their personal machines rather than back on the server where you
expect to find it.

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NUMBnut

How much text is entered into a cell. Excel will only allow up to 52
characters in one cell. If there are more than that, then the information is
lost.

"djbeenie" wrote:

Hello everyone, I have searched high and low and nothing seems to
surface. We have an excel data sheet on a shared server that only 7
people have access to it. When they save the sheet when they are done,
some information gets lost (new cells and text disapear). I don't know
how to be more specific than that.

The sheet is not opened by another user, so it is not in read only
mode. I can't find anything on tech net nor google.

Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Regards,
Beenie

--
djbeenie
djbeenie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30010
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497038

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
djbeenie

All changes get lost. What is funny is the .tmp file is stuck on the
server. Shows even when excel is closed. If I open that file the temp
has all the information correctly. Any clue how to fix this?

--
djbeenie
djbeenie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30010
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497038

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NUMBnut

You should be able to fix it by saving the file as a new file (change name
slightly) in a new location (different folder).

"djbeenie" wrote:

All changes get lost. What is funny is the .tmp file is stuck on the
server. Shows even when excel is closed. If I open that file the temp
has all the information correctly. Any clue how to fix this?

--
djbeenie
djbeenie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30010
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=497038

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If that other file really has an extension of .tmp....

Some background:

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
test.

========

And...

Excel creates a bunch of .tmp files in the Windows Temp folder. If you're
seeing them in a different location, it may not be excel (I've never seen xl do
this).

It may be your antivirus program.

One person posted that they saw files that had names like: ~RF26c83af.TMP.

It was caused by AVG.

You can read her description in this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...cd4eed0638e395

or
http://snipurl.com/jyus

A while ago, someone posted back that uninstalling something called "Panda
ClientShield" fixed a similar problem.

Even if you're not running "Panda ClientShield", you could try disabling this
program to see if the problem goes away.