Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sarjak

Default Date sorting not working?

Hello all,

I am working with a 5 column/35 line spreadsheet and need to sort the
contents by date (column E). I have made sure that the column is
formatted for date (ex formatcellsDATE03/01/05). When I select the
columns go to DATA SORT Column e ascending it sorts up until line
30 or so then it just does the willy nilly thing. I cannot figure out
why this simple function is giving me more greys. Any ideas?

Thanks
Tracy

--
sarjak
sarjak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29402

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duke Carey

I'd be suspicious that some of your 'dates' are acutally text values
masquerading as dates.

Check the ones that don't sort correctly, maybe even re-entering them. Then
try sorting them again

"sarjak" wrote:

Hello all,

I am working with a 5 column/35 line spreadsheet and need to sort the
contents by date (column E). I have made sure that the column is
formatted for date (ex formatcellsDATE03/01/05). When I select the
columns go to DATA SORT Column e ascending it sorts up until line
30 or so then it just does the willy nilly thing. I cannot figure out
why this simple function is giving me more greys. Any ideas?

Thanks
Tracy

--
sarjak
sarjak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29402
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=496477

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Hi Sarjak,

Probably the 30 cells are text, not dates/numbers although they may look
like dates and are formatted as such.
You can easily check with the ISNUMBER() function. If so, do the following:
Format an empty cell as number. Copy. Select your "Dates". Paste special,
check Add. Re-format as date.

BTW, 03/01/95; is that January or March?
You don't happen to expect the column to sort just on day, do you?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"sarjak" wrote in
message ...

Hello all,

I am working with a 5 column/35 line spreadsheet and need to sort the
contents by date (column E). I have made sure that the column is
formatted for date (ex formatcellsDATE03/01/05). When I select the
columns go to DATA SORT Column e ascending it sorts up until line
30 or so then it just does the willy nilly thing. I cannot figure out
why this simple function is giving me more greys. Any ideas?

Thanks
Tracy

--
sarjak
sarjak's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=496477

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sarjak

*Thank you* all for your responses.
The Autofilter didn't work.
And the field "seemed" to be formatted as a date/number.
I re-entered it and tried AGAIN and low and behold it worked.

Thanks again for all the input!

Tracy
;)

BTW: 03/01/05 is March 1

--
sarjak
sarjak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29402
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=496477

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Or format empty cell as date before copying and do it in one fell swoop! <g

Peo Sjoblom

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
[...]

View this thread: