Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Deadloss

Default My first question!

Hi.... I posted this earlier before it vanished of the first page! Is it
always this busy here?? :)

Anyone mind if I re-post it
here?............................................. ...........

.............. Hi, can anyone help me with the following question- it
would be much appreciated!

Use the 'Goal seek' option on the 'Data' menu to find the value of cell
A1 in the following formula - =sum(A1+A2+A3+A4+33*(sqrt(200))) -
where A2=22, A3=3 and A4=7?

1. -23
2. -200
3. -259.69
4. -2

its either 1, 2 3, or 4! Im totally stumped! :-9

Like I said with the other question I asked- I tried doing it but I
don't know where to start! They expect me to do the questions but give
no classes in how to do them (strange way of doing things eh).

--
Deadloss
Deadloss's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29859

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

It would help if we knew what the formula's results was suppose to be.

JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Deadloss

Hi

That's all that was said in the question. I've tried doing it, but I
can't! :(

--
Deadloss
Deadloss's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29859
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495652

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Without knowing the formula's result it's impossible to give an answer.

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495652

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Deadloss

Hi

I've had this type of problem with the questions before - in that the
questions were vague or poorly worded and the answer didn't 'add up'.
This may be another case of this!

Many Thanks for your help anyway!

Have a good Christmas/New Year

Deadloss
Deadloss's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29859
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495652

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"Deadloss" wrote:
.. Use the 'Goal seek' option on the 'Data' menu to find the value of cell
A1 in the following formula - =sum(A1+A2+A3+A4+33*(sqrt(200))) -
where A2=22, A3=3 and A4=7?

Perhaps try something along these lines
to grasp a feel on using the Goal Seek* functionality ..
*It's on the Tools menu, not Data menu

Let's say we have the formula in B1:
=sum(A1+A2+A3+A4+33*(sqrt(200)))
and we have in: A2=22, A3=3 and A4=7

Assume we want to find out what the value in A1 should be for B1 to resolve
to a target value of say, 100, given the values in the other dependent cells
A2, A3 and A4

Select B1
Click Tools Goal Seek

In the Goal Seek dialog,
ensure/make the settings as:

Set cell: B1
To value: 100 (< target value for B1)
By changing cell: A1

Click OK

The Goal Seek Status dialog will show that a solution has been found,
and we'd get the computed value in A1: -398.69
If we click OK, the dialog will dismiss and the value in A1 will be
retained.
If we click Cancel, the dialog will dismiss w/o any changes to the pre-run
state.
--
Rgds
Max

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

.. in B1: =SUM(A1+A2+A3+A4+33*(SQRT(200)))

Forgot to add that the formula in B1 could be simplified to:
=SUM(A1:A4,33*(SQRT(200)))

(with the extraneous "+"'s within SUM() removed)
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Max
The problem is he doesn't have a target value to work with so it's
almost impossible to get an answer for the question that was given to
him.

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495652

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"pinmaster" wrote:
Max
The problem is he doesn't have a target value to work with so it's
almost impossible to get an answer for the question that was given to
him.

Yes, I kinda figured that the target value was missing, but thought that may
not be the only thing that was not known to the OP. FWIW, the simple
illustration on using Goal Seek should still serve a purpose here, I guess.
Cheers.
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Deadloss" wrote:
That's all that was said in the question. I've tried
doing it, but I can't! :(

Nor can anyone. Do you understand "pinmaster's" point?
Without knowing what SUM(A1:A4)+33*SQRT(200) should
add up to, it is impossible to determine what A1 should be,
given A2:A4.

That said, of the choices give by you, my money is on A1
being -259.69. The reason: then
SUM(A1:A4)+33*SQRT(200) is about 239 -- a round
number. Teachers usually like to use round numbers for
problems; and all the other terms are round numbers
(22, 3, 7, 33, 200). All the other choices that you
provide for A1 result in SUM(A1:A4)+33*SQRT(200)
equal to xxx.69 -- not a round number.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

-259.69 would be my "guess" also but a guess is still just a guess and
not a definite answer.

JG