Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Default My first question!

"Deadloss" wrote:
.. Use the 'Goal seek' option on the 'Data' menu to find the value of cell
A1 in the following formula - =sum(A1+A2+A3+A4+33*(sqrt(200))) -
where A2=22, A3=3 and A4=7?

Perhaps try something along these lines
to grasp a feel on using the Goal Seek* functionality ..
*It's on the Tools menu, not Data menu

Let's say we have the formula in B1:
=sum(A1+A2+A3+A4+33*(sqrt(200)))
and we have in: A2=22, A3=3 and A4=7

Assume we want to find out what the value in A1 should be for B1 to resolve
to a target value of say, 100, given the values in the other dependent cells
A2, A3 and A4

Select B1
Click Tools Goal Seek

In the Goal Seek dialog,
ensure/make the settings as:

Set cell: B1
To value: 100 (< target value for B1)
By changing cell: A1

Click OK

The Goal Seek Status dialog will show that a solution has been found,
and we'd get the computed value in A1: -398.69
If we click OK, the dialog will dismiss and the value in A1 will be
retained.
If we click Cancel, the dialog will dismiss w/o any changes to the pre-run
state.
--
Rgds
Max