Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AB

Default Excel Question

Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I am trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

Use the DATEDIF function.

=DATEDIF(start_date,end_date,"Y")

For more info about DATEDIF, see
www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm .

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"AB" wrote in message
Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I am
trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nikki

A1: 12/20/2005
A2: 12/20/1955
formual
=year(a1)-year(a2)

gives you 50.

"AB" wrote:

Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I am trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AB

Chip,

Thanks for your response. I tried that but it did not do what I wanted it
to. What I am trying to do is the following. I have a list of about 600
employees. I am trying to put together a formular where I can tell Excel to
calculate the birthdate and then based on its results do a VLookup to see
what the coresponding rate is and then have it pull that rate into a
specified cell. For example, is Bob Smith was born on 12/20/1950, I need
exce to recognize that he is 50 years of age. Then look at what rate
corresponds to 50 years of age and then put it in Cell A4.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you need additional info.

Thanks.

Adam

"AB" wrote in message
Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I am
trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

I guess I don't really understand your problem. If you have a
birthdate, the formula

=DATEDIF(birth_date,TODAY(),"Y")

will return the age in years.

--

"AB" wrote in message
Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I am
trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AB

Nikki,

Thanks. I tried that but it gave me 02/19/1900.

Adam

"Nikki" wrote:

A1: 12/20/2005
A2: 12/20/1955
formual
=year(a1)-year(a2)

gives you 50.

"AB" wrote:

Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I am trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nikki

you need to change your formatting for the resula cell so it won't give you a
date:
change the formatting for 02/19/1900 cell by:

format--cell--number--change to number

"AB" wrote:

Nikki,

Thanks. I tried that but it gave me 02/19/1900.

Adam

"Nikki" wrote:

A1: 12/20/2005
A2: 12/20/1955
formual
=year(a1)-year(a2)

gives you 50.

"AB" wrote:

Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I am trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AB

Hi Chip,

I think I have it. I tried using the formula listed below however what
stumps me is the follow:

=DATEDIF(09/17/1943,TODAY(),"Y")

I tried putting todays date in between the brackes next to TODAY but it di d
not work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Adam

"AB" wrote in message
Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I am
trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

In your formula,

=DATEDIF(09/17/1943,TODAY(),"Y")

the / characters are treated as division operators, not date
separators. Use something like

=DATEDIF(DATE(1943,9,17),TODAY(),"y")

or

=DATEDIF("09/17/1943",TODAY(),"Y")

--

"AB" wrote in message
Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I
am
trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AB

Here is an example:
Here is the chart with the ages and their coresponding rates.
Per $1000 of coverage
<25 $1.20
25-29 $0.96
30-34 $1.20
35-39 $1.44
40-44 $1.80
45-49 $2.76
50-54 $4.68
55-59 $8.64
60-64 $13.08
65-69 $19.68
70+ $46.68

What I want to be able to do is the following

DOB Age Rate
09/17/1943 ? $13.08/1000

I want Excel to be able to take the birth date calucalte the age then find
the coresponding rate.

Thanks.

Adam

"AB" wrote in message
Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I am
trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AB

Perfect. That worked. One last question. Can I set it up where I can
reference the cell that the date is in so that I can use the formula for the
other birthdates and keep TODAY's date as an absolute?

"AB" wrote in message
Hello All,

How can I subtract dates to get whole numbers in Excel? I
am
trying to link
DOB's with a chart that rates based on age.

example: 12/20/2005 - 12/20/1955 = 50 years old.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AB

Chip,

Thanks for all of your help. I figured it out and it worked.

Adam