Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KenNZ

Default Excel Calendar

Hi,

I have been spending more money than I earn on my credit card. What I need
to do is create a calendar for the year (with weekdays) on an excel sheet
where I can enter my credit card balance at the end of every Friday and one
of the cells gives me the total I have spent upto that point in that month.
(I need to do this from the 15th to the 15th of the month). This will help me
see where I stand with my credit card expenses and control my weekly spending
accordingly. I will set a limit (in this case $2300) and when I am close to
this figure, it ives me a pop up message telling me that I am approaching my
limit for the month.

I know this is complicated, but is this possible at all?

Thanks for all your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Ken,

I tried to knock up a quick spready which I was going to post for you, but a
few interesting questions popped up.

Such as
- are you only going to have the Friday dates in the spready and enter
amounts in there
- what happens on say Fri 18th, some of that week's spending is last month,
some this, how do you differentiate?

You could do it with Sat-Fri along columns, weeks in rows, and you enter
your daily spend.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KenNZ

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

It would be great if I could only get Friday dates. In case a Friday falls
on 15th, it is taken into account in the same month. New month always starts
on the 16th.

What would you recommend I do?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Ken,

I am not sure that that answers my question.

Let me give an example, for this week starting Sat 10th Dec. Let us say your
spending was
Sat 10th $10
Sun 11th $20
Mon 12th $25
Tue 13th $7
Wed 14th $124
Thu 15th $87
Fri 16th $19

In that week, you have spent $292, but $186 was spent before the 15th, $106
was spent 15th and after. So should it b e split, part last month, part
next, or all go to one or the other. If you simply capture an amount on
Friday, it can only go to one or the other, and realistically, only the next
month. This seems to partially negate what you are trying to do to me. If
you must have a date split, rather than a split by say some week algorithm,
you have to make a rule. Personally, I would enter at least two amounts, pre
15th and post 15th, most weeks the week is clear so there would only be one
amount required.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips