Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Adam Kroger

Default Range question in '97

Can you have sheet specific named ranges?

ie
sheet1!game, sheet2!game, sheet3!game

so they can be referenced in a lookup, pulling values from the correct
sheet.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Yes. Select sheet1,

InsertNameDefine...

then in the 'Names in workbook' put Sheet1!game, then add the range in the
Refersto box.

Repeat for sheet2, etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com" <adam_kroger<nospam wrote in message
Can you have sheet specific named ranges?

ie
sheet1!game, sheet2!game, sheet3!game

so they can be referenced in a lookup, pulling values from the correct
sheet.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Adam Kroger

a further clarification, can you name a range of cells say A1:K22 game, and
then specify sheet1!game, sheet2!game without haveing to name then on sheet1
and sthhet2 and sheet3...?

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Yes. Select sheet1,

InsertNameDefine...

then in the 'Names in workbook' put Sheet1!game, then add the range in the
Refersto box.

Repeat for sheet2, etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com" <adam_kroger<nospam wrote in message
Can you have sheet specific named ranges?

ie
sheet1!game, sheet2!game, sheet3!game

so they can be referenced in a lookup, pulling values from the correct
sheet.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Adam

Try this..........

On sheet1 InsertNameDefine.

Type in "globalgame"(no quotes)

In refers to box type in =!$A$1:$K$22 and OK your way out.

Go to any sheet and F5. In the reference: dialog Type in "globalgame"(no
quotes) and OK.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:16:21 -0600, "Adam Kroger"
wrote:

a further clarification, can you name a range of cells say A1:K22 game, and
then specify sheet1!game, sheet2!game without haveing to name then on sheet1
and sthhet2 and sheet3...?

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
.. .
Yes. Select sheet1,

InsertNameDefine...

then in the 'Names in workbook' put Sheet1!game, then add the range in the
Refersto box.

Repeat for sheet2, etc.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com" <adam_kroger<nospam wrote in message
Can you have sheet specific named ranges?

ie
sheet1!game, sheet2!game, sheet3!game

so they can be referenced in a lookup, pulling values from the correct
sheet.

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR

You can do that if you plan ahead, while you're creating your WB.

Select a range in Sheet1.
Click in the name box and type:
sheet1!rng1
Then <Enter

When you click in the name box again, all you see is:
rng1

Now, hold down <Ctrl, and click in the tab of Sheet1, and drag right until
the small arrow is on the right side of the tab, and then release the mouse
first, and you have copied your sheet.

This new sheet has the same sheet specific range (rng1) automatically
configured to it.

Rename this sheet.

So, create your sheet specific ranges on your first sheet, and any sheet
copied from it will contain the same ranges, each specific to the individual
newly copied sheets.

--

HTH,

RD

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Adam Kroger

Works well within the active sheet, but I can not figure out how to
reference it from another sheet.

EXAMPLE
active sheet is pilot2

rn1hp refers to !$C$5

I want to refer to r1hp on sheet1

=sheet1!rn1hp returns #NAME? and brings up a file dialog box
&
=INDIRECT(sheet1!rn1hp) returns #REF! and changes the formula to ='TESTBED -
Combat Tracker v3.0.4.xls'!rn1hp

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Adam

Apologies. Misunderstood

I thought you wanted rn1hp to refer to same cell $C$5 on each sheet.

To reference Sheet1!rn1hp from another sheet, you have to make the name
sheet-specific when you create the name.

You're back to adding the refers to: =sheet1!$C$5 as you create the name.

Gord

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Adam Kroger

I want both, I'm greedy :)

I have 12 sheets in my workbook that are identicle but track a different
individual, each sheet has a repeated section. Best analogy I can think of,
unless you are familiar with wargames, is tracking salesmen. 12 salesman
each have their own sheet, and each sheet tracks the information for a
salesman across 12 months, broken down by weeks. There are identical
calculations for each week refering to cells that are in the same relative
position on each sheet, and section.

A 13th sheet is set up with sumary information for the entire year, broken
down by week, a cover sheet with anual summary information, and "probably" a
pivot table sheet (once I figure out how to do that; there will probably be
several questions posted when I come to it.)

Basically, I am working on a spreadsheet that is beyond my abilities, but
that is the only way to learn :)

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Adam Kroger

I figured it out. :)

if I name them (the ranges) like this =$A$1 instead of =!$A$1 then I can
reference them by '<sheet'!<range_name

I guess excel does a literal substitution and as a result the two !'s were
confusing it.
bubba assigned to !$A$1
'sheet 1'!bubba gets translated to 'sheet 1'!!$A$1
so excel starts looking for a spreadsheet named "sheet 1" I guess. It seems
to make some sort of logical sense; to me....

This opens up so many possibilities for me. I should be able to eliminate
several hundred VLOOKUP() formulas from my workbook.

THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Adam Kroger

OOPS!

spoke too soon. I thought it was working, but it is not...

apparently when I take the ! out of the address when I name it, XL appends
the sheet address to it.....

I am back to square 1.

!HELP!