Demi

Default Question for use of offset and range

I have a set of data that i have assigned a range name.
Time to time i keep adding data to this sheet.
I know I can do it using Offset function. But the problem is I am not really
able to understand the Offset function. It does not include the new data i
add in the range .
And somehow after I write the offset function the range name does not show
up in the upper right hand range name drop down menu.
can someone kindly let me know how exactly can i use offset and why does the
range name disappear from teh drop down list after writing the offset
function.

thank you for all the help.

Bob Phillips

Dynamic names just don't show in the names box I am afraid.

To assign a range, try

=OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNTA($A:$A))

assuming the data is in clumn A

--

HTH

RP

"Demi" wrote in message
I have a set of data that i have assigned a range name.
Time to time i keep adding data to this sheet.
I know I can do it using Offset function. But the problem is I am not

really
able to understand the Offset function. It does not include the new data i
add in the range .
And somehow after I write the offset function the range name does not show
up in the upper right hand range name drop down menu.
can someone kindly let me know how exactly can i use offset and why does

the
range name disappear from teh drop down list after writing the offset
function.

thank you for all the help.

Biff

See this:

http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

Also, only the names of static ranges will appear in the name box. When you
create a dynamic range, you're actually creating a named formula.

Biff