Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
confuzedagain

Default Can't export actual text - Get #### instead

I have an excel spreadsheet I am putting together. Everytime I try to
export the info to a text file or import directly to MS SQL Server, I
get ############ instead of the actual text.

Typically I would expand the column width to show the majority of the
info, but some info is more then the expansion will show so it still
shows the ##### in the expanded column. This is not the solution.

When I click on the ######## in the excel sheet I see the text, but
that text is not exporting. All it will export is the #.

How can I get Excel to export the actual text?

--
confuzedagain
confuzedagain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29439

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Is that cell formatted as Text?

If yes, then try formatting it as General.

(Excel has trouble with cells formatted as text and strings that are between 255
and 1024 characters long.)

====
But I don't know enough (er, anything) about SQL to know if that's the real
problem.

confuzedagain wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet I am putting together. Everytime I try to
export the info to a text file or import directly to MS SQL Server, I
get ############ instead of the actual text.

Typically I would expand the column width to show the majority of the
info, but some info is more then the expansion will show so it still
shows the ##### in the expanded column. This is not the solution.

When I click on the ######## in the excel sheet I see the text, but
that text is not exporting. All it will export is the #.

How can I get Excel to export the actual text?

--
confuzedagain
confuzedagain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29439
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=491474

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
confuzedagain

Dave,

Thank you, yes the cells were formatted as Text, I changed them to
General and it worked just fine in exporting the info.

Now off to figure out my SQL issue, SQL does not like the data for some

arrrgh, got to love data manipulation, nothing is ever as simple as it
should be ;-)

Thank you again for helping me to get this far!