Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
HelpAl

Default pivottable calculated fields

Hello,

I'm having problems geting my calculated field to return the desired
information. I have a text field which has one of several names.

Text field
Name1
Name2
Name3

For each entry of name2 I want the perform an operation on the coorisponding
value in another number field. I've entered something like this:

=if('text field="name2",numberfield/2, numberfield)
I can only get a false response from this even when its true.

What am I missing? Are there limitations of what formulas I can make? I
write a similar function outside the pivottable and get the expected results.

Thanks, Al
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
wjohnson

Here is what I set-up and seems to work.

A B C
Name1 2 Ignore
Name2 3 1.5
Name3 3 Ignore

=IF(A2="Name2",B2/2,"Ignore")

try making a reference to the cell.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m390

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
HelpAl

Hi,

Thanks for your response. In the context of general excel functions and
calculations you are correct but I'm trying to generate a calculated field in
a pivot table. I can not make a reference to a specific cell.

I hope someone else can help me out there.

Thanks

"wjohnson" wrote:

Here is what I set-up and seems to work.

A B C
Name1 2 Ignore
Name2 3 1.5
Name3 3 Ignore

=IF(A2="Name2",B2/2,"Ignore")

try making a reference to the cell.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m390
View this thread: http://www.hightechtalks.com/t2300135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Debra Dalgleish

In the calculated field, numeric value of a text field is zero, so no
item will be equal to "name2".

You could add a field to the source data, and do the calculation there.
Then, add that field to the pivot table.

HelpAl wrote:
Hello,

I'm having problems geting my calculated field to return the desired
information. I have a text field which has one of several names.

Text field
Name1
Name2
Name3

For each entry of name2 I want the perform an operation on the coorisponding
value in another number field. I've entered something like this:

=if('text field="name2",numberfield/2, numberfield)
I can only get a false response from this even when its true.

What am I missing? Are there limitations of what formulas I can make? I
write a similar function outside the pivottable and get the expected results.

Thanks, Al

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List