Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
zmr325

Default Is Gary's Student here

If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

I need help finding a solution for formula I can not write.

Column

a b c d e
date open high low close

data for b,c,d,e go lets say to row a125

now in column f and g I have two =if statements with about 4 logical strings
to place a BUY in f and a SELL in g

Now what I need to do is write a formula for a stop loss record. It should
be if you have a buy signal you need the low to be = whatever variable you
are going to use. I took the close of the period that you got the buy signal
minus 6. So I need a way to calculate each timeframe (cell) to tell me
whether the low has gone through that 6 point stop or each the system
generated a new signal which would be a sell signal. THe opposite would then
hold true for the Sell signal. But it would be with the HIGH being greater
than the signal(close) plus 6. DO you think that you could help or anybody.
I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
NOel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
zmr325

I will try to write it out like this:

a b c d e f g h i
Open High Low Close
1 Date 10 15 8 8
2 " 8 12 7 9 buy
3 " 9 20 9 16
4 " 15 23 14 18
5 " 15 17 9 10 sell
6 "
7 "
8 "

Ok that is what my spreadsheet looks like. I have =if(and()) statements in
f and g to give me those "buy" and "sell" signals. Now what I want to do is
write a formula saying that if I have a "BUY" like in f2 stop me out or cover
my position if the low in how ever many time frames equals or is less than
the close when i had the buy, keep doing this until I have reversed positions
to get a Sell signal or am stopped out. Then do it for the next signal.
But for the Sell signal it will be agianst the high because you want the
market to go lower. DOes this help?

Thank you

"zmr325" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

There is a lot more information there, but what does stopped out mean? And
what will the formula determine, a number or some text?

--

HTH

RP

"zmr325" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
zmr325

Basically what stopped out means that say you purchased a stock at $93.00.
You have a stop loss of say $5. If the price falls below the $88 level you
would sell one to get out of your position. You got stopped out. The market
didn't go higher it went lower. The same is true for the short side. Say
you sold a stock at $50 and you stop it out at $56. That means if the market
rose and went against you and went through $56 you would have to buy that to
get flat your position. Stop losses are just ways to reduce your risk. I
don't mind if it is a value or text, but probably text would be easier to see
and adjust your system. Thank you, hope this helps

"zmr325" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

I think I am getting deeper into this than I want to :-))

I guess I basically understand most of that, but I don't really see how it
applies to the example you posted. As I read your example, that you gave,
there are 4 prices for the day, but nowhere do I see quantity, or where that
stop loss is calculated. I don't understand how you know that the stop loss
is $5, or how you know you have to sell 1 or whether you have 1 to sell.

Are we dealing with just one stock here or many?

--

HTH

RP

"zmr325" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
zmr325

hi bob,

We are dealing with one commodity here. The four prices that you see are
the open, high, low, and close for that day. All of my entry's and exits
will be off of the close price if that helps. I am trying to write this to
figure out what is the best stop price for me. But you know if the system
gives you a buy that you will need to sell 1 either on a stop or when the
system gives you a sell signal. Thank you for your time, hopefully this will
help. I have posted the full sheet if this will help you. I can't remember
where it is but i think it is in excel general with the headline be Help with
this formula.

Noel

"zmr325" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Noel,

I have responded to other thread. That is clearer (at least to me), so let's
continue there.

--

HTH

RP