Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DENNIS

Default DATES IN EXCELL

IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE AN EXCELL WORKSHEET SHOW THE DATE IT WAS ORIGIONALLY
CREATED AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE ? I KNOW HOW TO USE =TODAY AND =NOW FUNCTIONS
BUT THESE RESET THE DATE AND TIME EACH TIME THE SHEET IS SAVED OR MODIFIED. I
NEED TO SHOW THE DATE OF CREATION AS WELL AS THE LAST DATE OF MODIFICATION ON
MY WORKSHEET. I USE EXCEL TO PREPARE MATERIAL LISTS IN CONSTRUCTION
ESTIMATION. ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT. THANKS
--
DENNIS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Function DocProps(prop As String)
'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Application.Volatile
On Error GoTo err_value
DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocument*Properties _
(prop)
Exit Function
err_value:
DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue)
End Function

and enter in a cell such as

=DocProps ("creation date")

--

HTH

RP

"DENNIS" (NOSPAM) wrote in message
IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE AN EXCELL WORKSHEET SHOW THE DATE IT WAS

ORIGIONALLY
CREATED AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE ? I KNOW HOW TO USE =TODAY AND =NOW

FUNCTIONS
BUT THESE RESET THE DATE AND TIME EACH TIME THE SHEET IS SAVED OR

MODIFIED. I
NEED TO SHOW THE DATE OF CREATION AS WELL AS THE LAST DATE OF MODIFICATION

ON
MY WORKSHEET. I USE EXCEL TO PREPARE MATERIAL LISTS IN CONSTRUCTION
ESTIMATION. ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT. THANKS
--
DENNIS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DENNIS

Thanks Bob , i am an Excel rookie. I tried the =docprops() function and got a
#name error response, does this mean its not installed in my version?
--
Dennis

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Function DocProps(prop As String)
'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Application.Volatile
On Error GoTo err_value
DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentĀ*Properties _
(prop)
Exit Function
err_value:
DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue)
End Function

and enter in a cell such as

=DocProps ("creation date")

--

HTH

RP

"DENNIS" (NOSPAM) wrote in message
IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE AN EXCELL WORKSHEET SHOW THE DATE IT WAS

ORIGIONALLY
CREATED AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE ? I KNOW HOW TO USE =TODAY AND =NOW

FUNCTIONS
BUT THESE RESET THE DATE AND TIME EACH TIME THE SHEET IS SAVED OR

MODIFIED. I
NEED TO SHOW THE DATE OF CREATION AS WELL AS THE LAST DATE OF MODIFICATION

ON
MY WORKSHEET. I USE EXCEL TO PREPARE MATERIAL LISTS IN CONSTRUCTION
ESTIMATION. ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT. THANKS
--
DENNIS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Dennis

Bob's docprops function is a user defined function(UDF), not a native Excel
function.

Must be copied into a general module in your workbook.

If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
"getting started".

In the meantime..........

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the above code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Enter the formula in a cell as =docprops("creation date")

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:40:02 -0800, DENNIS (NOSPAM)
wrote:

Thanks Bob , i am an Excel rookie. I tried the =docprops() function and got a
#name error response, does this mean its not installed in my version?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DENNIS

Thanks bob and Gord I will try that vba out and let you know if it works.
Thanks again for everyones help!
--
Dennis

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DENNIS

thanks to Don as well , you were very helpful
--
DENNIS