david

Default lable ranges in Excell

I am working with a customer list that I composed in excell
to allow me to set up mailers & keep track of their address,dob etc I need it
in out look so I can sink my new ipack so I dont have to enter all this data
buy hand. In out look it says that you can import the data but it will not as
it comes up with " the microsoft file .......................................
has nonamed ranges of tha data you want to import". I found where to name
the rnages ( next to the address bar in excell but I am not sure of what to
do. The office assent is pointing me to make them a "cell: but then it gose
to a window that
states:Info_type & a fill in space next to it & under that it says refence &
a fill in space next to that. this all seems to be trying to make a equations
of some type. I have the frist row of cells named ( like the title of what
the colums have in them) Last name,1st Name,Spouse
Name,Title,Company,Home#.Work#, Fax#,Email Address,Mailing Address,City,
State,Zip,etc......I have used this excell sptead sheet many times for fill
in on word like a mailing envlope ( as in mail merge) & it always asks me if
their is a header line to indocate the Name or title of the colum. I am sorry
I am not that trained on excell & I relize that excell is a great program &
has lots of capiblilty like forming cauclations or values but I have never
learned how to use these functions. I realy need to learn this stuff as it
would help me greatly. I know this is alot to ask but could you please help
me so I can import this list so I dont have to hand type it all in. I have
susfully imported this list before into other programs like access & when I
was using Palm for my pda but my palm bit it & I cant hot sink it any more &
I wone this hp ipack & it is windows based & I realy like that as I can see
that it will sute me much better. I feel that this is somethig I can do as
far as the fixing the excell spread sheet but I am leary of trying to name
this & messing it up.

Thank you
David.

Debra Dalgleish

I don't use Outlook, but there are instructions here for naming a range:

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

Once you name the range, perhaps Outlook will recognize it.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Gord Dibben

David

This is how I do it.

The basics........Your layout may differ. Instructions here are for Name and
Email address only, but adjust to suit for more columns.

First have the names and email addresses in Excel in two columns.

I set up also a third column with the names duplicated so when you Import to
Outlook you have a name for the Contact and a Display Name instead of the
email address in the To: box.

FileSave AsFile Type CSV(comma delimited)(*.csv)

Now open Outlook and FileImportExportImport from another fileComma
Separated Values(Windows)NextFile to Import(you can browse to your saved
*.csv file). Next you will be asked where to import them to. I bring mine to
"Contacts".

Follow the instructions and you will get a Map. Drag your names and addresses
to the appropriate spots on the Map

1. Name of Contact
2. Email address1
3. Display Name(if you have one by making the duplicate column mentioned
earlier). If not, the email address wil be displayed in the To: box.

Continue with the OK's until Outlook pulls all from the *.csv file(should take
only a few seconds).

Now they are in the Contacts folder, you can group them as you wish.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP