Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cjtj4700

Default 2 basic Excel questions for you pro's

I am a very new user of Excel so bear with my "green-ness";

1) I have been creating links throughout my 13 sheet workbook, now when I
attempt to finish making these links today, the actual formula (=SUM(A36)) is
populating into the cell and not my data????

2) I have a section that I want users to be able to only select 1, like
"choose only 1" in a survey. When you select 1 cell, your previous selection
moves, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help~
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

First basic question:

If you enter a formula and it appears in both the formula bar and the cell,
odds are Excel thinks the material is just a text string Take a typical
problem cell:

1. clear the cell
2. format the cell as general
3. re-type (NOT PASTE) the equation
--
Gary's Student

"cjtj4700" wrote:

I am a very new user of Excel so bear with my "green-ness";

1) I have been creating links throughout my 13 sheet workbook, now when I
attempt to finish making these links today, the actual formula (=SUM(A36)) is
populating into the cell and not my data????

2) I have a section that I want users to be able to only select 1, like
"choose only 1" in a survey. When you select 1 cell, your previous selection
moves, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Not necessary to clear the cell.

Just re-format to General then hit F2 and ENTER.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:19:03 -0800, Gary''s Student
wrote:

First basic question:

If you enter a formula and it appears in both the formula bar and the cell,
odds are Excel thinks the material is just a text string Take a typical
problem cell:

1. clear the cell
2. format the cell as general
3. re-type (NOT PASTE) the equation

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
exceluserforeman

Possibly in Options you have selected "Show formulas"

Tools Options = View Tab Formulas is selected. Unselect it.

"cjtj4700" wrote:

I am a very new user of Excel so bear with my "green-ness";

1) I have been creating links throughout my 13 sheet workbook, now when I
attempt to finish making these links today, the actual formula (=SUM(A36)) is
populating into the cell and not my data????

2) I have a section that I want users to be able to only select 1, like
"choose only 1" in a survey. When you select 1 cell, your previous selection
moves, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cjtj4700

Perfect. Thank you very much. Any ideas on part #2? It is an internal
shipping request form and I want staff memebers to not only have to select a
service level (overnight, ground, etc.) but only be able to select 1 of them??

thx

"cjtj4700" wrote:

I am a very new user of Excel so bear with my "green-ness";

1) I have been creating links throughout my 13 sheet workbook, now when I
attempt to finish making these links today, the actual formula (=SUM(A36)) is
populating into the cell and not my data????

2) I have a section that I want users to be able to only select 1, like
"choose only 1" in a survey. When you select 1 cell, your previous selection
moves, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Try DataData ValidationAllowList.

Either type the list into the dialog box(comma delimited) or have the list on
the sheet and select that list range.

Checkmark "in cell dropdown".

Users will use the dropdown list to select one of the options from the list.

For more on DV dropdowns see Debra Dalgleish's sit.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"cjtj4700" wrote:

I am a very new user of Excel so bear with my "green-ness";

1) I have been creating links throughout my 13 sheet workbook, now when I
attempt to finish making these links today, the actual formula (=SUM(A36)) is
populating into the cell and not my data????

2) I have a section that I want users to be able to only select 1, like
"choose only 1" in a survey. When you select 1 cell, your previous selection
moves, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Joe

Instead of copying from Outlook try FileExport from Outlook as a *.csv or
*.txt file.

Open that file in Excel and see what you get.

"cjtj4700" wrote:

I am a very new user of Excel so bear with my "green-ness";

1) I have been creating links throughout my 13 sheet workbook, now when I
attempt to finish making these links today, the actual formula (=SUM(A36)) is
populating into the cell and not my data????

2) I have a section that I want users to be able to only select 1, like
"choose only 1" in a survey. When you select 1 cell, your previous selection
moves, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben