Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
alf_gon

Default Unable to locate XLUSRGAL.XLS

Hi folks,

After having defined several user-defined graphs I have the resulting
excel to end users. Obviusly they don't see the graphs as me becasue
they don't have the user-defined graphs in its Excel. The Excel manual
explains a method to avoid this issue: share the XLUSRGAL.xls (where
user-dephined graphs are suppose to be saved) to end users.

My main issue is that I have spent two days looking for this file and
I'm not able to find it. I 'm sure that Excel is saving the
user-defined graphs in some place but I am being crazing trying to
discover where...

Please, I would be very grateful if someone could help me.

Alf

--
alf_gon
alf_gon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29029

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jon Peltier

If the user has their own charts in the gallery, there will be a hard choice
to make: hose my charts or hose his.

Anyway, you could look here for the user gallery:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

A year or two ago I posted a method to distribute user-defined chart types
without overwriting a user's entire custom chart gallery.
Create a new workbook that you will distribute to the users. Embed each
custom chart template on its own worksheet. Put the name for each chart
type in cell A1 of the sheet, and the description in cell A2.

Put this macro into a regular code module in the workbook containing your
custom chart templates:

Sub DistributeChartTypes()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim cht As Chart
Dim chto As ChartObject
If ws.ChartObjects.Count 0 Then
If Len(ws.Cells(1, 1).Value) 1 Then
Set cht = ws.ChartObjects(1).Chart
Application.AddChartAutoFormat Chart:=cht, _
Name:=ws.Cells(1, 1).Value, _
Next
End Sub

Finally, put this macro into the "ThisWorkbook" code module of the workbook
with the custom charts:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
DistributeChartTypes
End Sub

Send out the file with instructions to open it with macros enabled. The
Workbook_Open procedure will run when the workbook opens, which runs the
DistributeChartTypes procedure. If any chart type with the same name is
already present in the user's custom chart gallery, the new one will
overwrite the existing one.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"alf_gon" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
alf_gon

I know that it seems not possible but I haven't done this search (this
path and so others using the Search tool, lloking for hidden folders
and so on..) severals times with no result. However, I'm sure that the
user-defined charts must be saved somewhre because every time I open a
excel file from scratch I can see the user-defined charts that I have
previously defined in the graph-chart assistant.

If I open the visual basic editor I can see a VB Project named
XLUSRGAL.xls, but this file doesn't exist in my PC. Am I becoming
crazy?

Alf

--
alf_gon
alf_gon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29029
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487577

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Alf

When you do a search for *.xls do all the other *.xls files on your computer
show up in search found list?

With Windows Explorer open, go to ToolsFolder OptionsView and make sure
"show all files" is checked and "hide extensions for known file types" is
unchecked.

Try the search again for just *.xls.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP