Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CCAP

Default Here's a challenging question for you...

Okay, let me set up the scenario for you...
My office has two office managers/executive assistants. These two ladies
over the years have had 3 different computer systems(in pairs, totalling 6).
They've also gone through several versions of Excel during this time.
Here's the mystery...
When the first lady, we'll call her 'A', opens one of a certain few xls
documents she has to double click each column in order to make the colmuns
more narrow so that they fit on a printed page. The second lady, 'B', always
has to double-click the columns to widen them so that she can see the text in
the cells.
As I said, this has gone on for the past 5 years. They only just discovered
they were working against one another, one widening and the other shrinking
the columns. The question is, why is Excel treating the file differently on
the virtually identical computers? And even more confusing, why have the
symptoms followed the same user over 3 different systems? A always has to
shrink, B always has to widen to get the same results on a printed page.
I invite you to take a stab at solving this problem for us. It's quite a
mystery to us!
Thanks!!!
Matt Tyree
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi

One or two suggestions.
1. They are each using a different standard font
2. They each have a different standard font size
3. They each have different Zoom percentages set.

Regards

Roger Govier

CCAP wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CCAP

I checked the font, both are using Times New Roman at size 10.
The scaling percentage in the print setup are both set to 90% to get it to
fit on the page.
If you mean the zoom in the standard view pane, should that really have
anything to do with it? It should all zoom uniformly.

To add another clue to the problem...I just got them both to save the
document after making their changes to the appearance and save them as
separate files. I opened the file of A and had to change it. It looked fine
with the B version. So, evidentally there is something odd about A's set up.

Thanks for the replies!

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

One or two suggestions.
1. They are each using a different standard font
2. They each have a different standard font size
3. They each have different Zoom percentages set.

Regards

Roger Govier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi

I realised after posting that my suggestions were absolute rubbish, as the
saved files would open with the fonts and settings they were saved with, not
the settings on the computer opening the file. I also failed to spot that
you were talking about the printed results, not the on screen display.

I think Don's suggestion about print drivers is the more likely course for
further investigation.

Good luck!!

Regards

Roger Govier

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

One or two suggestions.
1. They are each using a different standard font
2. They each have a different standard font size
3. They each have different Zoom percentages set.

Regards

Roger Govier

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CCAP

Thanks for the reply!
I'm not sure about the printer drivers either. As I said in my last reply,
my computer handles the files the same way as the second user, B.
As far as I can tell the printer drivers are exactly the same. And, I'm not
really sure the printer drivers are part of the problem since the document
actually displays different in the workspace no matter what printer they're
planning to use to print it.
It's definitely a very mysterious problem. I haven't a clue how to fix it!
:-)

Thanks again!