Phyllis

Default Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

Suggestion for Microsoft

I would like to be able to format a single digit in a number cell that
contains 2 or more digits. For example, if I type 346 in a cell, I would like
to be able to bold or color just one of the digits, say the 3. The reason:
to help me test a theory. If the solution to a problem could be either a 3,
4, or 6 in a given cell, I migth want to test the theory that it's the 3. If
I could color the 3 in the cell containing 346, and then color the resulting
answer in other cells, I could track all the changes I made to test the
theory without erasing the other possible variables incase my theory is
wrong. Yes, I confess, it's to help me solve a five-star (highest
difficulty) Sudoku puzzle.

Other suggestions for testing a theory without eliminating the variables are
welcome. Programming an IF logic sequence would be too complex. (I've tried
just bracketing the theoretical numbers, but it gets clumsy, confusing and
cumbersome.)
--
PT

--
PT

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Martin P

It seems to me that you cannot change the colour of a single digit in Excel.
If you change one, then you change them all. A suggestion is to copy the
cells to Word and use Edit, Replace. In Find What type 3. In Replace With do
not type anything but choose something under Format (for example Font Color
or Highlight or both). Do not enable Wildcards.

"Phyllis" wrote:

[...]

Nick Hodge

Martin

I couldn't understand the original post unfortunately, but you can change a
single character in excel. Just highlight it in the formula bar, format how
you want, bold, underline,colour, etc and voila!

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Phyllis" wrote:

[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

L. Howard Kittle

Ref Nick's solution.

I would think numbers treated as text would be okay for a Sudoku puzzle
since the numbers don't have to represent any particular value, so to speak,
it's just the order that's important. A Sudoku puzzle could just as easy
use the first nine letters of the alphabet. Although on my Excel Sudoku
solver helper I made, I sum the number to see if all rows = 45, but of
course that's not necessary.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Phyllis" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
exceluserforeman

Public Sub ColorMyCellDigits()
Dim intLen, i As Integer
If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then
Exit Sub
End If
ActiveCell.Select
Set A = Selection
intLen = Len(A.Value)

For i = 1 To intLen
If Mid(A.Value, i, 1) = 3 Then
A.Characters(i, 1).Font.Bold.Color = vbRed

End If
Next