Phyllis

Default Color a single digit in a mult-digit number cell

Suggestion for Microsoft

I would like to be able to format a single digit in a number cell that
contains 2 or more digits. For example, if I type 346 in a cell, I would like
to be able to bold or color just one of the digits, say the 3. The reason:
to help me test a theory. If the solution to a problem could be either a 3,
4, or 6 in a given cell, I migth want to test the theory that it's the 3. If
I could color the 3 in the cell containing 346, and then color the resulting
answer in other cells, I could track all the changes I made to test the
theory without erasing the other possible variables incase my theory is
wrong. Yes, I confess, it's to help me solve a five-star (highest
difficulty) Sudoku puzzle.

Other suggestions for testing a theory without eliminating the variables are
welcome. Programming an IF logic sequence would be too complex. (I've tried
just bracketing the theoretical numbers, but it gets clumsy, confusing and
cumbersome.)
--
PT

--