MHY

Default Compare if same month in cell vs columns

On sheet 1 I have the months across the top row and lets say that the month
of March is in c1. On sheet 2 I have a column (d1:d20) with many dates, and
I want to count the number of dates in the month of March.
I think it would go something like this,
=countif(month(sheet 2(d1:d20)),sheet 1(c1))
I may not have all of the () in the right place but hope you get the idea.
Thansk
RagDyer

Assume Sheet1 column headers are plain text, while dates in Sheet2 are true
dates, try this *array* formula:

=COUNT(IF(TEXT(Sheet2!D1:D20,"mmmm")=C1,Sheet2!D1: D20))

--
Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of the
regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

RD

"MHY" wrote in message
On sheet 1 I have the months across the top row and lets say that the

month
of March is in c1. On sheet 2 I have a column (d1:d20) with many dates,

and
I want to count the number of dates in the month of March.
I think it would go something like this,
=countif(month(sheet 2(d1:d20)),sheet 1(c1))
I may not have all of the () in the right place but hope you get the idea.
Thansk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MHY

I would like to show you what I mean, so let me try again. On one
worksheet(sheet #1) i have the months across the top, Jan thru Dec. (Jan 05
Feb 05 Mar 05.....Dec 05)
On a second worksheet (sheet #2) I have a column of random dates of 05.
Assume that in the column on sheet #2 there are 15 dates in May 05. I want
to be able to count the dates in May and show them on Sheet#1 under May 05).
Below you suggested
=COUNT(IF(MONTH(Sheet2!D1:D20)=MONTH(C1),Sheet2!D1 :D20)) and it seems to
return alot of errors.

"MHY" wrote in message
On sheet 1 I have the months across the top row and lets say that the
month
of March is in c1. On sheet 2 I have a column (d1:d20) with many

dates,
and
I want to count the number of dates in the month of March.
I think it would go something like this,
=countif(month(sheet 2(d1:d20)),sheet 1(c1))
I may not have all of the () in the right place but hope you get the

idea.
Thansk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyer

First of all, this is an *array* formula, so, to repeat:

Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of the
regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly
brackets, which *cannot* be done manually.

Did you enter the formula correctly?

Second, are the dates on both sheets *true* XL recognized dates, and *not*
text entries that you keyed in?

RD