Katie59

Default Sorting Problems

I've been manipulating data in a speadsheet for about two weeks.
At some point, I copied an entire column, put it into Word, deleted and
reformatted the info in that column and then split the column into first and
last name. The two columns were then pasted back into the original
worksheet. I need to sort the spreadsheet using various columns, but Excel
will not allow a sort. I receive a box which states "This operation requires
that merged cells be identically sized" I've sized the spreadsheet several
times and both the height and width of all cells are identical, but it still
gives me this message. Any idea of that I might be able to do?

Dave O

Some of your cells are merged: cells with contiguous borders are joined
so they effectively become one large cell. When you land on merged
cells the cell pointer will suddenly become much larger. If you
un-merge your cells the sort will perform as expected.

RagDyer

*Unmerge* your cells and use "CenterAcrossSelection" instead.
<Format <Cells <Alignment tab,
*Uncheck* "Merge Cells",
Expand the "Horizontal" window,
And choose the last option.
--
HTH,

RD

"Katie59" wrote in message
I've been manipulating data in a speadsheet for about two weeks.
At some point, I copied an entire column, put it into Word, deleted and
reformatted the info in that column and then split the column into first

and
last name. The two columns were then pasted back into the original
worksheet. I need to sort the spreadsheet using various columns, but

Excel
will not allow a sort. I receive a box which states "This operation

requires
that merged cells be identically sized" I've sized the spreadsheet

several
times and both the height and width of all cells are identical, but it

still
gives me this message. Any idea of that I might be able to do?

grahammal

Katie59 Wrote:
I've been manipulating data in a speadsheet for about two weeks.
At some point, I copied an entire column, put it into Word, deleted
and
reformatted the info in that column and then split the column into
first and
last name. The two columns were then pasted back into the original
worksheet. I need to sort the spreadsheet using various columns, but
Excel
will not allow a sort. I receive a box which states "This operation
requires
that merged cells be identically sized" I've sized the spreadsheet
several
times and both the height and width of all cells are identical, but it
still
gives me this message. Any idea of that I might be able to do?

Try going to "Tools" on your Excel ToolBar then select "Customize".
This will open up a "Customize" window.
Click on the "Commands" tab.
Select "Format" in the lefthand window.
Scroll down in the righthand window till you see the "Unmerge Cells"
icon.
Hold down the mouse button on this icon and drag it into your Excel
Toolbar at the top of your Worksheet.
Now close the "Customize" window.
Highlight the whole of your worksheet by clicking on the blank grey
cell above the 1 in your numbered rows and to the left of the A in your
columns.
Your whole worksheet should now be highlighted.
Now click on the "Unmerge Cells" icon that you put on your Toolbar.
This will unmerge everthing whether hidden or not in the worksheet.
Hopefully this will do the trick.

--
grahammal
grahammal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20336