TimE

Default Check for Alpha characters

I would like to check if the first three characters are alpha, if so,
remove them. The alpha characters will be any combination.

EX.

BEFORE - ABC123
RESULT - 123

The alpha will not be the same or I would use:
=IF(LEFT(A1,3)="ABC",RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3))

Thanks in advance for ANY assistance.

--
TimE
TimE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2139

Biff

Hi!

It would help if you posted a larger representative sample of you data.

Are all the entries 6 characters? Do all the entries contain BOTH alpha AND
numeric characters? Are there any entires that are ALL numeric?

Biff

"TimE" wrote in message

I would like to check if the first three characters are alpha, if so,
remove them. The alpha characters will be any combination.

EX.

BEFORE - ABC123
RESULT - 123

The alpha will not be the same or I would use:
=IF(LEFT(A1,3)="ABC",RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3))

Thanks in advance for ANY assistance.

--
TimE
TimE's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483637

Chip Pearson

Try the following formula:

=ISNUMBER(--LEFT(A1,3))

It will return TRUE if the left 3 characters of A1 are numeric,
FALSE otherwise.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"TimE" wrote
in message

I would like to check if the first three characters are alpha,
if so,
remove them. The alpha characters will be any combination.

EX.

BEFORE - ABC123
RESULT - 123

The alpha will not be the same or I would use:
=IF(LEFT(A1,3)="ABC",RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3))

Thanks in advance for ANY assistance.

--
TimE
TimE's Profile:
View this thread:

Ragdyer

Since you didn't give a whole lot of information, try this for the info you
did give:

=IF(ISERR(--LEFT(A1,3)),RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3),A1)

--
HTH,

RD