timsantiago

Default Identifying/Eliminating Worksheet References

I've been making copies of a spreadsheet for a project (say ABC.xls
[orig], and DEF.xls [copy]), and in the process, accidentally made an
external workbook reference that I can't seem to get rid of. Whenever I
open DEF.xls, I get a prompt for Update/Don't Update.

Since external referencing uses [ABC.xls] in the formula, I ran a
search and replace for 'ABC.xls' and removed those instances. However,
I still recieve a prompt when I open DEF.xls.

Is there a way to highlight cells referencing another workbook, or any
other way to remedy this situation?

Thank you

--
timsantiago
timsantiago's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28656

Dave O

External references may also be embedded in Named Ranges, and command
buttons on your spreadsheet may also refer to macros that exist in a
foreign spreadsheet.

timsantiago

I found a number of Data Ranges with references to other files that I
didn't need, and deleted them. In the Macros, I didn't find anything
fishy, but I still receive the prompt. This time, I hit "Help", and was
directed to EditLinks. It shows which files are being referenced, but
I'm not entirely sure if I want to break the links, since I'm unsure
what may happen (Note: I'm author of all the files being referenced,
it's all my creation). The Source Type: 'Workbook', Type: 'A', for
whatever that's worth. Is there a way to follow these workbook
references to the cells they correspond to, and/or are there other ways
which these files are being referenced?

Thanks.

--
timsantiago
timsantiago's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28656
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483507

timsantiago

I deleted the links, as I determined they shouldn't be there (I saved a
copy of the files just in case). However, I still receive different
prompts when I save:

"Excel cannot complete this task with available resources."
"Unable to save external link values"

The save works, but why would I receive the prompt if there are no
longer any external links? These prompts do not occur with the original
file (ABC.xls), but only with the copied files (DEF.xls, GHI.xls, etc)
[see original post]. The file sizes are on the order of 3-6 MB, FWIW.

Thanks,
Tim