David E. Jones

Default Cell references in formulas become text

I'm working with Excel 2003, and the behavior for selecting cell
references seems to have changed from the way it worked in Excel 97.
When I begin a formula (inserting "=", which no longer seems to be
available as a clickable icon), then move to a cell and select it, the
selected cell reference shows in blue, as a reference should, but as
soon as I click the check mark or move the cursor out the cell, the cell
reference, e.g., =(C3), simply turns into text "C3".

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

--
David E. Jones
SteveG

David,

This has happened to me is if the cell where you are entering the
formula was formatted as Text prior to entering it. So as you said,
when I typed in = and then selected the cell reference (C3) the formula
showed up in the cell as text:
=C3

Delete your text, change the formatting to general and then try again.
That seemed to work for me.

The other possibility that I can think of is go to the
Tools/Options/View Tab and see if the Window Options Formulas check box
is selected. If it is it will make them show up on your sheet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

David E. Jones

SteveG wrote:

David,

This has happened to me is if the cell where you are entering the
formula was formatted as Text prior to entering it. So as you said,
when I typed in = and then selected the cell reference (C3) the formula
showed up in the cell as text:
=C3

Delete your text, change the formatting to general and then try again.
That seemed to work for me.

The other possibility that I can think of is go to the
Tools/Options/View Tab and see if the Window Options Formulas check box
is selected. If it is it will make them show up on your sheet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

I think you've hit on it. The cells were formatted as text. Making the
change allowed the cell reference to be accepted. I think this is a
change from Excel 97, but now that I know, it will no longer be a
surprise. Thanks.

David

--
David E. Jones